We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Cleaning your house and saving money at home doesn’t have to be a pain.
Here are the best home shortcuts — from using toothpaste on walls to blow drying your sheets, check out these mind-blowing surprises that save us time and money!
1. Put a brick or jar in your toilet tank.
Reduce the amount of water used during each flush when you place a brick or jar filled with water in the back of your toilet.
2. Rinse your air conditioning vent covers in the dishwasher.
Close the vents before washing so there’s more surface area that gets cleaned. Then, blow dry any remaining water from the covers on the cool setting before installing covers back over your vents.
3. Keep salads cold with a shower cap.
Add ice to a shower cap then place a bowl filled with cold food like pasta salad in the cap, allowing the elastic to stretch over the sides to create an ice-box effect. Your food should stay cool for hours!
4. You can also use a shower cap as a travel dog bowl.
5. Use your blow dryer to squeeze every last drop of ink out of a cartridge.
Find the spot where the ink comes out of a cartridge (it should be the area that has colored patches and what appears to be a circuit printed on adhesive tape). Aim your blow dryer at that spot for 2-3 minutes. The heat will thin out any remaining ink and clear blockages in the tiny nozzles of the cartridge.
More printer ink = more coupons!
6. Use a blow dryer to warm up your bed if you don’t have an electric blanket.
7. Turn an empty cardboard box into drawer dividers.
All you need is some cardboard, a ruler, and a box cutter to make these easy dividers perfect for your sock or junk drawer! Get detailed directions here.
8. When building your grocery stockpile, lay boxed foods on their sides so more can fit.
9. Make a bag clip with a wine cork.
Slice a cork halfway up one end, and slide it over a folded bag to keep it in place.
10. Keep water bottles together in cabinets with magazine holders.
11. Organize flats and flip-flops in magazine holders as well.
12. Make dryer sheets last longer by cutting them in half.
RELATED: 16 Best Laundry Hacks of All Time
13. Remove a permanent marker stain from nearly any surface with regular toothpaste.
14. You can also fill small holes in your drywall with toothpaste.
No spackling paste? No problem. Just use a bit of toothpaste for a quick fix.
15. Get the perfect caulk edge with painter’s tape.
16. Clean a toilet with cola.
The acids found in cola drinks break down stains just as well as regular bathroom cleaner.
Pour the soda around the inside of your toilet bowl and let it sit for at least an hour before scrubbing with a brush and flushing.
17. Make your glass stovetop look new again with a Magic Eraser.
18. Make finger paint with expired Greek yogurt.
Mix yogurt with food coloring or even Kool-Aid mix and let kids paint on a white, plastic tablecloth. As long as the yogurt isn’t too far gone (no more than 3 weeks past expiration) you can still eat it.
19. Keep board game pieces together with Press’n Seal.
20. Stick a recipe card to a cabinet with Press’n Seal to keep it clean and at eye level.
21. Line the bottom of your fireplace with foil for easy cleanup.
After your fire, fold in the edges with the ashes inside and toss.
22. Maintain your collection of cords and chargers with a shoe organizer.
23. Vacuum up some Downy Unstoppables or ground cinnamon if your vacuum releases a funky smell.
24. Use a pool noodle to fill your mop bucket.