Unless your cat’s somehow making money from being Instagram famous, you’re probably looking for ways to get cheap cat food on the regular. We’re here to help.
We’ve outlined the best ways to save money with cheap cat food. You’ll learn about the best places to shop, get some brilliant pet food delivery tips and stock-up prices, and finally we’ll end with some FAQs.
By the way, if your cat is Instagram famous, um, hit me up in the comments and tell me how you did it.
1. First, always calculate the cost per cup whenever you’re shopping for dry, cheap cat food.
It takes two easy steps to calculate the price per cup of your dry cat food:
- Multiply the number of pounds by four (four cups of dry kibble equals 1 lb).
- Divide the sticker price by whatever number you found in Step 1.
The final number from Step 2 is your price per cup. And by the way, you shouldn’t pay more than $0.26 per cup when it comes to dry cat food. Set your sights there, and your options will include:
- Meow Mix cat food, from Sam’s Club for $0.17 per cup
- Friskies Seafood Sensations cat food, from Target for $0.19 per cup
See this week’s best pet deals here.
2. And for wet, cheap cat food, always calculate the cost per ounce.
When you’re buying wet cat food, there’s always a measurement of how many ounces are in each container of food (check the bottom corners of the package).
To calculate your price per ounce, simply divide the sticker price by the total amount of ounces in your cat food package. For wet food, always try to spend below $0.24 per ounce — a price at which I still found brands such as Friskies, Meow Mix, and Fancy Feast:
- Friskies Meaty Bits, from Target for $0.13 per ounce
- Meow Mix wet cat food, from PetSmart for $0.23 per ounce
- Fancy Feast wet cat food, from Amazon for $0.24 per ounce
See this week’s best deals on Purina cat food here.
3. Sam’s Club has the cheapest dry cat food: Meow Mix cat food for $0.17 per cup — and that’s a regular price.
Shocking — none of the retailers who specifically cater to pets (Chewy, Petco, and PetSmart) were the ones who had the best prices on dry cat food.
Instead, Sam’s Club tops our list of the best everyday value on cat food, with this 32-lb box of Meow Mix for $21.74.
The savings on cat food alone could justify the cost of a $45 per year Sam’s Club membership. Learn how to get a free Sam’s Club membership.
And even if you don’t become a member, you can still shop SamsClub.com (you have to pay a 10% “handling fee”). Even then, Sam’s Club cat food would only cost $0.19 per cup.
See this week’s best Meow Mix deals here.
4. Friskies cat food is the cheapest wet brand at $0.13/oz from Chewy and Target.
See this week’s best deals on Friskies cat food here.
5. Save 40% on your first Amazon cat food order when you Subscribe & Save.
Each of these stores offers you the ability to automate repeat orders on a schedule that works for you. But Amazon’s the best option because only Amazon’s Subscribe & Save service promises 40% savings on your first order.
Here’s how the discount would work on a product like Iams cat food (reg. $27.98 at Amazon):
Buy 1 16-Pound Bag Iams Proactive Health Dry Cat Food reg. $27.98
Sign up for Amazon Subscribe & Save, save 40%
Final Price: $16.79 ($0.26 per cup)
Every order after that will have a 5% discount applied, but if you subscribe to five or more different items, Amazon boosts that discount to 10% off.
By the way, we rounded up everything you need to know about the first-ever Amazon pet day sale.
6. The best cat food sale is Chewy’s Black Friday sale, which saw 70% off your first order of American Journey cat food.
But during Black Friday 2021, Chewy store brands like American Journey were 40% off their regular price. Additionally, Chewy took 50% off customers’ first repeat delivery order.
Better yet, Chewy lets customers stack their discounts. Here’s how it looked for us:
Buy 1 15-Pound Bag American Journey Sensitive Stomach Salmon and Rice Dry Cat Food (reg. $32.41), $19.45 sale price
Sign up for repeat delivery for 50% off your first order
Final Price: $9.73 (70% savings)
That brought the price per cup down to $0.20! We’ll be watching closely for it to happen again. In the meantime, check out our best Chewy savings tips.
7. How much dry food should I feed my cat?
Although the cat food packaging has their own specific instructions most of the time, I called some of the local vets in my area.
They told me, generally speaking, that if your cat is between 5 – 10 lbs, they probably only need 0.75 – 1.5 cups of dry food per day.
8. How much wet food should I feed my cat?
When it comes to wet food, the vets I spoke with told me an average cat needs about 4 – 5 oz of wet food per day.
Again, the specific feeding instructions should be included on the backside of your package.
9. Can kittens eat adult cat food?
In general, adult cat food is lower in protein than kitten food. That’s why I was told it’s not wise to rely on adult food for your kitten — they need more protein to help them grow.
If you have any other questions (or, seriously, if your cat is Instagram famous), hit me up in the comments below. Thanks for reading!