A Sam’s Club membership can feel like a commitment, and it’s hard to know if it’s totally worth the annual fee. So, I’ll show you all the ins and outs of Sam’s Club — what’s available, how to shop at Sam’s Club and save money, and how to decide if it’s right for you (or not).
Seasoned Sam’s Club shoppers, I’ve got some tips for you too, including ways to maximize your spending inside Sam’s Club and find the best deals at Sam’s Club every time you shop. If you’re wondering if Sam’s Club takes coupons, the answer is no, but there are still plenty of ways to save. Find out everything you need to know about shopping Sam’s Club online and in store, and our best hacks for saving money.
Download the KCL app and favorite “Sam’s Club” to find out what to buy at Sam’s Club when it’s on sale.
1. Don’t pay the full $50 price for a Sam’s Club membership if you want to join.
The reason I say not to pay full price is because of the many Sam’s membership deals throughout the year. You won’t find an official schedule, but I see Sam’s Club membership deals pop up on a monthly basis — like the awesome $10 Sam’s Club birthday membership deal that happened in April 2023. And right now, you can get a membership for as low as $20.
While the regular full price of a basic Club membership is $50, it costs $110 a year for a Plus membership. A Plus membership gets you everything Club offers, but you also get a few extra perks like free shipping, extra pharmacy and optical discounts, cash rewards, and Sam’s Club early hours for shopping before everyone else.
Get a Sam’s Club membership for 60% off right now:
Here’s how to get this deal:
- Click this link to activate the 60% off promotion.
- Create an online account by providing your name, email address, password, and mailing address.
- Continue to the billing information section to complete your order.
- You can start shopping right away with your digital membership card in the Sam’s Club app. All you have to do is log in.
This offer is only valid for new Sam’s Club members who join through the promotion link above. You must buy your membership online before visiting the club, and you’ll need to stop at the Sam’s Club membership desk and provide a valid ID to receive a physical card.
What about the $8 Sam’s Club membership?
In January and June 2022, we saw an offer for an $8 Sam’s Club membership. The most recent time they offered this $8 deal was June 17 – 26, 2022, but unfortunately, we haven’t seen the annual membership price go quite that low since.
2. Try Sam’s Club online shopping if you don’t have a membership.
Even if you don’t have a membership, you can make purchases from the pharmacy and the cafe, and you can get an eye exam at the Sam’s Club Optical Center (but you just can’t purchase glasses).
You can also shop Sam’s Club online without a membership, but you’ll pay a 10% markup on prices. Sam’s Club really wants you to be a member, hence the markup on Sam’s online shopping.
3. Use Sam’s Club and Walmart gift cards at both stores.
You can use a Sam’s Club gift card to buy things at Walmart and a Walmart gift card at Sam’s Club. But here’s the catch — you can’t use either to shop Sam’s Club as a non-member.
4. You can’t use coupons (at all) at Sam’s, but look for Instant Savings once a month.
Sam’s Club won’t accept manufacturer or competitor coupons, which is a total bummer. So, instead you’ll need to look for their “Instant Savings” to find the best deals at Sam’s Club. These are limited-time sales automatically loaded to your membership card. Access these discounts through SamsClub.com, the Sam’s Club app, or by picking up an Instant Savings Book at your local warehouse and finding them.
Expect to find dollar-off or percent-off discounts on a variety of products. The discount is immediately applied at checkout, giving you savings like these:
5. …Unless there’s a Special Savings Week. Then it’s no Instant Savings, but tech deals are hot.
A few times a year, Sam’s offers a Special Savings Week. These Special Savings Weeks offer deals on tech, clothing, and other non-grocery items. (Instant Savings is when you can find grocery savings).
During a Savings Week, the regular Instant Savings booklets won’t be available. With one exception — during November Savings Week, Sam’s Club offers both. Here are Savings Weeks to watch for:
- Spring Online Savings Week: Happens in mid-April. I’ve seen deals on tech like over 20% off Monster Bluetooth speakers or 23% off HP laptops.
- May Savings Week: Happens in early May. I’ve seen almost 30% off Galaxy tablets and 10% off LG 70″ TVs.
- August Savings Week: Happens in early August. I’ve seen over 20% off Instant Pots and 30% off a Shark Rocket.
- November Savings Week: Happens in early November. I’ve seen 30% off Samsung Galaxy watches, 15% off Apple Airpods, and 10% off Ugg boots
6. If you’re lucky, you can find fried pickle and ranch dip (or popcorn) at your local Sam’s.
I believe there are two kinds of people in this world. You’re either thinking “That’s a thing? Gimme.” Or you’re thinking “EWW!”
First, to the Gimme folks. Yes, it’s definitely a thing and the fried pickle and ranch dip is available at Sam’s Club exclusively in 24-ounce containers for $4.98. The lucky states carrying this are: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
Also, fried pickle and ranch popcorn is available for a limited time at Sam’s Club, so stock up!
Now, for the Eww folks. I’m with you, but I guess the heart wants what it wants.
7. Shop Sam’s for the cocoa-covered almonds, inflatable pools, and wide candy selection.
New to the warehouse and wondering what to buy at Sam’s Club? Check out the candy aisle, where you’ll find a huge selection — far beyond Costco’s offerings. (Grab cocoa-dusted almonds while you’re at it.)
Related: Check out all the latest pool deals on Amazon or at Sam’s Club.
8. Coupons might be a no, but go ahead and redeem Ibotta offers.
You can definitely get cash back when you redeem Ibotta offers. Just upload your Sam’s receipt to the Ibotta app to earn cash back on select products. This works because Ibotta offers aren’t actually coupons that require action at checkout. You use your receipt to redeem an offer, so Sam’s Club doesn’t really care.
9. Get free samples at the Freeosk machine.
Scan your membership card at the Freeosk machine, or use the Freeosk app to receive free samples during your visit. I’ve gotten samples for Gain, All, Halls, and Ensueño brand items in the past.
TIP: Another place you’ll want to check for free samples? The Sam’s Club Bakery.
10. Only get a Sam’s Club credit card for 5% back on gas, or if you spend $5,000 or more a year.
The Sam’s Club Mastercard has no annual fee, and basic Club members earn 1% cash back. If you spend $5,000 a year at Sam’s Club (about $417 a month), you’ll receive $50 back in cash rewards, which covers the cost of your annual membership.
Sam’s Club Plus members get 3% cash back with the Sam’s Club Mastercard. If you’re a Plus member, you’d need to spend $3,667 per year at Sam’s club to cover your membership fee ($110).
All members get 5% cash back at Sam’s Club gas stations.
TIP: If you don’t spend that much money at Sam’s Club in a year or you don’t use Sam’s Club gas, don’t bother with the credit card.
11. Generally, prices at Sam’s Club will end in “8.”
This can be a full, regular price, or it can be a regular price plus a savings promotion, like $10 off.
12. Clearance prices end in “1.”
Price tags that end in one penny, such as $0.91 or $0.71, indicate clearance items.
Related: Do you know how to find Walmart hidden clearance?
13. Predict markdowns when you know Sam’s Club pricing codes.
While the timing of markdowns is random, paying attention to the pricing structure can help you spot deals that aren’t advertised.
You can determine stock for an item and whether it will go on sale by looking for letters N, A, C, O, S on the price tag.
- N stands for “never out,” meaning it’s always in stock and won’t be on sale.
- A stands for “available,” which means the store has a lot in stock, but a markdown in the future is likely.
- C stands for “canceled,” so the item isn’t going to be restocked, and the store wants it off the shelves.
- O stands for “orderable,” often seen with limited-time-only items.
- S stands for “seasonal.”
14. Markdowns are better inside Sam’s Club warehouse than at SamsClub.com.
Markdowns vary by location and depend on how much inventory a particular location has to move. Seasonal markdowns happen when the new season’s merchandise arrives in store. Often, markdowns aren’t available at SamsClub.com, only in stores.
For example, a Penelope Mack Girls Sundress is $14.98 at Sam’s Club online, but it’s only $7.98 in store.
15. Save up to 25% when you buy discounted gift cards in the store.
You need to pay attention when Sam’s Club sells a gift card to a third-party store or restaurant.
The best deals are two $25 gift cards for $37.50 (25% off). This is the most you can save on a discounted gift card at Sam’s Club.
Discounted gift cards are available for loads of restaurants and more. Here are some examples:
- $50 MovieTickets.com Gift Card, Only $37.50 (These may not be available yet, but keep your eyes open!)
- Build-A-Bear Workshop $50 Gift Card, Only $38
- Fast Food Gift Cards, Starting at $28.98
16. Skip the checkout lines by using Sam’s Club Scan & Go.
Sam’s Club has a huge leg up on Costco here, because you can avoid the dreaded checkout line when you use the Sam’s Club Scan and Go app to check yourself out.
Just scan the barcodes of your items and pay through the app. Then you show your digital receipt to the Sam’s Club associate at the exit door. (Costco, please take note.)
TIP: The Sam’s Club Scan & Go app will let you pay with Sam’s Cash, a credit card, or an EBT card.
17. Plus members get extended Sam’s Club hours.
An added perk of Sam’s Club Plus membership is the extra hour of shopping time you get before the warehouse opens to the rest of the members. Get familiar with the Sam’s Club early hours so you know when to shop as a Plus member:
What time does Sam’s Club open for Plus members?
Monday through Saturday, all Sam’s Club locations open at 8 a.m. for Plus members, and at 9 a.m. for all members.
On Sundays, the warehouse opens at 10 a.m. for all members (there are no Sam’s Club early hours on Sundays).
What time does Sam’s Club close?
Monday through Saturday, all Sam’s Club locations close at 8 p.m. The cafe closes an hour earlier at 7 p.m.
On Sundays, Sam’s Club closes at 6 p.m. The cafe also closes at 6 p.m. on Sundays.
18. In a Members Mark vs. Kirkland showdown, Sam’s can hold its own.
Member’s Mark is Sam’s Club’s store brand. Kind of like Costco’s Kirkland store brand.
Sometimes it’s hard to know if you’re actually saving money on store brands, so I did a quick comparison of a few items and found out Member’s Mark is legit. Check it out:
- Sam’s Club: Member’s Mark Cage-Free Large Eggs, 24 count, reg. price $5.98, or $2.99 per dozen
- Costco: Kirkland Cage-Free Large Brown Eggs, 24 count, in-store price $6.49, or $3.25 per dozen
- Sam’s Club: Member’s Mark Premium Baby Diapers (Size 1),176 count $23.98, or $0.14 per diaper
- Costco: Kirkland Signature Diapers (Sizes 1 – 2), 192 count, $34.99, or $0.18 per diaper
19. Frozen salmon, frozen berries, maxi pads, and dog food are among the best deals at Sam’s Club.
It’s a random list, but your grocery budget will thank you when you get these best things to buy at Sam’s Club.
Even when compared to Costco, Walmart, and Target, items like salmon, berries, Always brand maxi pads, and Member’s Mark dog food come out cheaper at Sam’s Club. Dog food, for example, is 68% cheaper at Sam’s versus Costco’s Kirkland brand.
Related: Shop these 14 name brands at Sam’s Club — like Viking, DKNY, and more — to save up to 70%.
20. Sam’s Club tires are cheaper than Costco.
Go ahead and buy your tires at Sam’s Club. Comparing Michelin Defender T+H across four stores, I found Sam’s Club came out cheapest at $651.96 for a set of four tires. These prices don’t include installation (another $20), just the tires themselves.
Related: Here’s more about how to save on tires.
21. Members can get free generics at the pharmacy.
If you have a Plus membership, you can get these 10 generic medications for free:
- Vitamin D2 50,000 IU
Also, look for pet medication at the Sam’s Club pharmacy, along with discounts on pet insurance.
22. Get 50 free 4×6 photos when you open a Sam’s Club photo account.
Order photo prints from the Sam’s Club Photo Center, and you can get items shipped to your house. Most photo centers (like the Costco Photo Center) are going online, but the free shipping offers help soften the blow. Sam’s offers free shipping with no minimum spend needed.
23. Score a whole pair of eyeglasses for as low as $48 at the optical center.
A complete pair of glasses including frames, lenses, and anti-glare starts at $59 and then you can get an additional 20% off if you’re a Plus member using Sam’s Club optical.
As far as eye exams go, some Sam’s Clubs don’t offer them, so check with your local store. But if your Sam’s offers it, expect to pay about $65 for a regular eye exam and $100 for a contact lens eye exam.
Related: Here’s how much you can expect to spend at Costco Optical.
24. Ready to plan a vacation? Check out Sam’s Club travel deals.
When you’re ready to get on a plane or walk into a theme park, you can find a Sam’s Club travel deal for almost anything. Here are common savings in each category:
- Car rentals: Get 25% off car rentals nationwide
- Events (sporting, concerts, etc.): Get up to 50% off tickets to special events.
- Ski resorts: Get up to 50% off ski resorts in Colorado, Massachusetts, Utah, and more.
- Movies: Get up to 55% off movie tickets.
- Theme Parks: These offers rotate, but right now you can get $80 off Disney World tickets and 40% off Legoland tickets.
25. Get a COVID-19 vaccine whether you’re a Sam’s Club member or not.
Anyone who is eligible can get the COVID-19 vaccine at Sam’s Club for free. Check with your state’s COVID-19 vaccine guidelines to find out more information about eligibility and timing.
26. All members can use Sam’s Club curbside pickup, but only Plus members get it free.
Club and Plus members can use Sam’s Club curbside pickup, but it’s only free with Plus membership. For Club members, it’s $4 per order.
27. Prices for Sam’s Club delivery are inflated by up to 25%.
Sam’s Club delivery uses Instacart to get your groceries to you on the same day you place an order. In some cases, they can get it to you in under an hour. (Even if you’re not a club member.) Of course, you’ll pay more as a non-member, because Instacart inflates prices to cover their costs. If you are a member, enter your member ID number during checkout to pay lower prices.
Here are delivery fees for shopping Sam’s Club through Instacart:
- $8.99 on orders $35 or more
- $12.99 on orders under $35
- $10.99 for one-hour delivery on orders $35 or more
- $14.99 for one-hour delivery on orders under $35
28. Military? Student? Get a free Sam’s gift card.
Sam’s Club offers perks for military and students. If you’re former or active duty military, or a student, you can present identification (military or student) for a $10 Sam’s gift card when you sign up for a membership.
If you’re military, you can also get this perk when you renew. Unfortunately, for college students, it’s a one-time deal.
29. Sam’s Club is closed on Thanksgiving but offers Black Friday deals instead.
Sure, you can’t go into a Sam’s Club warehouse on Thanksgiving, but based on their Black Friday deals, who needs to? Sam’s kicked off their November Instant Savings event on Oct. 26, with deals available for a whole month. The main Black Friday event started Nov. 24 and lasted through Nov. 27. Most of Sam’s deals were available online with the best deals in categories like toys and electronics. Sam’s Club Plus members got access to free shipping, but regular Club members didn’t, consistent with Sam’s Plus membership offerings.
Here’s a snippet of what I saw in 2022:
- Xbox Series S, $239 (reg. $288.98)
- Member’s Mark Modern 11-piece Ceramic Cookware Set, $129.98 (reg. $159.98)
- Fitbit Charge 5 Fitness Tracker, $89.98 (reg. $139.95)
- Disney Princess 6-Volt Ride-On, $109.98 (reg. $149.98)
- Power XL 12-Quart Air Fryer Oven, $99.98 (reg. $149.98)
Bookmark Sam’s Club Black Friday Deals so you’re ready when the holidays roll in.
30. Save up to 60% with “Shocking Values” at SamsClub.com.
“Shocking” feels like an oversell to me, but I’ll take any discount I can get. Watch for Shocking Values on SamsClub.com. New deals are added daily between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. CT.
Deals usually last four days or until they’re gone. Sign up for Sam’s Club email alerts to find out when to pull the trigger on these.
Here are a few deals I’ve seen in the past:
- BareMinerals Dew Mist Setting Spray, 3.4 fluid ounces, (reg. $27.98), $19.48
- Bel Air Theater Recliner, (reg. $589), $499
31. Buy electronics from SamsClub.com when you see “Tech Savings” boxes.
When shopping at SamsClub.com, keep an eye out for those little blue rectangles that say Tech Savings. These are temporary price reductions, and they only last a few days.
SamsClub.com has a dedicated page for these deals. For example:
- Swann 1080p Powered Wi-Fi Outdoor Security Camera with Secure Cloud Storage, 3 pack (reg. $239), $179
- Samsung Galaxy Buds+ (reg. $139.98), $99.98
32. Sam’s Club return policy is generous like Costco’s.
You don’t need a receipt to make a return, and most items can be returned for an indefinite amount of time. Even Sam’s Club furniture. But you do need your order number.
Sure, Sam’s won’t let you return anything and everything. Contacts, eyeglasses, alcohol, cigarettes, and gift cards are a few items in the “non-returnable” category. I recommend that you return your items inside a warehouse instead of shipping them back to Sam’s Club so you can avoid paying shipping, which Sam’s won’t reimburse.
Check out Sam’s Club return policy for more details.