We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
December is here! That means it’s time to think about what to stock up on before we ring in 2023. Trust us, stocking up in December is about more than Christmas gifts — it’s about your pantry and freezer too! Stock up on groceries, plus other essentials and goodies to give yourself (and your family) the extra holiday present of a fully supplied kitchen and stockpile to start off the new year.
1. Stock up on ham for less than $1.50 a pound in December.
Just like turkey in November, ham prices are lowest in December. Stock up when you see prices below $1.50 per pound. In 2021 Aldi had their Appleton Farms ham for $0.85 per pound, while Albertsons had a Cook’s ham for $0.88 per pound, beating Meijer by one penny.
2. Stock up on Old Fashioned or Quick oatmeal for under $0.10 a serving in December.
Stock up on old-fashioned or quick oatmeal for an inexpensive breakfast that’ll warm you up during the cold months.
- Meijer Oats Old Fashioned or Quick Oatmeal, 42-ounce, $2.49 ($0.07 – $0.08 a serving)
- Quaker Oats Old Fashioned or Quick Oatmeal, 42-ounce, $2.99 at Kroger ($0.09 – $0.10 a serving)
For instant oatmeal lovers, here’s what we found in 2021:
- Quaker Instant Oatmeal, 6- to 12-count, $1.99 at Albertsons ($0.33 – $0.16 a serving)
3. Fill your pantry with Idahoan instant potatoes for $1 or less.
December’s a month for comfort food, so it’s a great time to fill your pantry with instant mashed potatoes. You won’t have any trouble finding Idahoan potatoes for $1 at Meijer, Kroger, and Albertson stores. If you have a nearby Aldi, check out their Chef’s Cupboard mashed potatoes. Last year they were $0.69, which is the ideal stock-up price.
Prefer casserole-style potatoes? In 2021 we found Betty Crocker Casserole and Crispy Potatoes for only $0.49 last December at Kroger during their Buy 5, Save $1 on Each sale.
4. Buy Jif or Skippy peanut butter for under $2.
You can grab name-brand peanut butter for under a couple of bucks during December.
- Jif Peanut Butter 15.5- to 16-ounce, $1.49 at Kroger
- Skippy Peanut Butter 15- to 16.3-ounce, $1.99 at Albertsons
Meijer went just over the $2 stock up price with their $2.19 price on the 15- to 16.3-ounce jar of Skippy peanut butter last December.
5. Stock up on Yankee and Bath & Body Works candles.
December is a great time to stock up on your favorite candles from Yankee and Bath & Body Works. Shop the once-a-year Bath & Body Works Candle Day in December and get $25 regularly priced 3-wick candles for about $10 each. Look for other year-end candle deals like Yankee Candle BOGO 50% off at Walgreens.
Related: Stock up on year-end Christmas deals with these holiday clearance schedules.
6. Buy Nature Made, Signature Care, and Nature’s Bounty vitamins BOGO free.
Buy Nature Made, Signature Care, and Nature’s Bounty vitamins in December when they’re BOGO free at many retailers, including Meijer, Kroger, Albertsons, and of course, pharmacies CVS and Walgreens. You save money and kick-start the new year on a healthy note. It’s a win-win.
7. Stock up on gift cards in December.
You won’t have any trouble finding retailers and restaurants offering discounted gift cards or bonus card promotions all month long. Here are a few current deals:
- Applebee’s — buy a $50 gift card, get a $10 bonus card through Jan. 1, 2023
- Cheesecake Factory — buy $50 in gift cards, get a $15 gift card, redeemable Jan. 1 – Feb. 28, 2023
- Chili’s — buy $50 in gift cards, get a $10 e-bonus card
- Buy a $50 Domino’s gift card at Sam’s Club — save 25%
- Buy $100 in regular DSW gift cards, get a $25 DSW gift card
- Melting Pot — buy $100 in gift cards, receive a $20 dip certificate redeemable Jan. 2 – April 30, 2023; offer ends Dec. 31
8. Save 50 – 75% on clearance gift-wrapping essentials for the next holiday season.
Buying gift-wrapping essentials at after-Christmas clearance prices is a no-brainer. You can find prices drop as much as 70% during year-end clearance sales!
Here are a few deals that closed out December 2021:
- Gift tissue paper, $0.50 a roll (reg. $1) at Dollar General
- Bag of bows, 30-count $1.49 (reg. $5.99) at Rite Aid
- Raffia string, 3-count $1.74 (reg. $6.99) at Dollar General
- Christmas wrapping paper, $2.49 (reg. $4.98) at Walmart
- Deluxe gift wrap $1.99 (reg. $7.99) at Dollar General
9. Take advantage of toy clearance sales around the holidays.
There are tons of toy clearance sales around the holidays. Watch for 50 – 75% off savings on toys in late December, and don’t forget to check drugstores.
Last year we found Melissa & Doug toys 50% off at Target:
- Melissa & Doug Blue’s Clues & You Blues Birthday Celebration Play Set, $16.49 (reg. $32.99)
- Melissa & Doug Blue’s Clues & You Blues Fold and Go Wooden House, $26.99 (reg. $53.99)
10. Grab cosmetic and fragrance gift sets for 75% less than the retail value.
Sephora, Ulta, and Macy’s slash prices on prestige-brand makeup gift sets right after Christmas. In 2021 Macy’s had lipstick sets, variety sets, and more for 75% off their retail value around the holidays. For example, last year you could get these two exclusive deals: