Makeup can seriously break the bank. Like whoa. And everyone has different ideas about what they need or like.
Here are seven tips to get makeup for free, or at least for a really affordable price!
1. Become a product tester and get free samples like concealer, mascara, and lip gloss.
There are tons of companies out there willing to ship you free products in exchange for your opinion or review.
Some of these sites give you free samples; others send free full-sized products. Some of these companies ask you to fill out a survey after you use their product; sometimes you’ll be put on a panel or asked to share on social media.
One of our favorites is Toluna, because you can also earn cold hard cash or gift cards.
Check out this list to get free makeup and beauty samples:
- Glamour Glam Spotters
- Vogue Insiders
- InStyle Trendsetters
2. Sign up for rewards programs and get free birthday gifts at Sephora, Ulta, and BareMinerals boutiques.
I bet you didn’t know that you can get free makeup handed to you for your birthday.
No, not as a present from your best friend, but Sephora, Ulta and BareMinerals boutiques all offer birthday freebies when you join their rewards programs, no matter how much (or how little) money you spend.
True story, I signed up to receive BareMinerals emails and got a birthday freebie, even though I’ve never bought makeup there.
3. Use coupons and get makeup at Target for under $1.
This is a KCL classic. Want to know a secret?
Most of my makeup in my extensive collection was bought at drugstores and Target for free, or for pennies. I don’t even bother buying it anymore if it’s more expensive than $1.
For example, we just saw this deal on Maybelline Twin Expert Brow Pencils:
Buy 1 Maybelline Twin Expert Brow Pencil, 2 ct $2.99, regular price
Use one $2.00/1 – Maybelline New York Brow product (coupons.com)
Or $1.00/1 – Maybelline Product from RP 4/30
Final Price: $0.99
4.Take Advantage of Ulta’s free gifts with purchase.
I mean literally, you should almost always get premium free samples all the time, so this won’t be hard to do. At any time, Ulta lists all of their free gifts with purchase on their website so don’t order before you check this out!
At Ulta I scored free BareMinerals bronzer and lip gloss with my online order. Right now they have a mystery bag of 8 premium samples when you spend $50 online. You should seriously never buy from Ulta unless they’re giving you free stuff.
5. Take advantage of subscription boxes like Julep, Ipsy, and FabFitFun that offer a discount on your first order.
There are so many great makeup subscription boxes out there, and you get amazing beauty products at a tiny fraction of the price you’d pay in the store.
- Julep: $25/month and they offer a free gift with your first bag. Julep gives you 3-4 full-sized Julep brand products per months for only $25.
- Ipsy: $10/month. Frequently includes full-sized and sample-sized makeup products from premium brands.
- Birchbox: $10/month + free shipping for five premium beauty samples.
- FabFitFun: $49.99 every three months for over $200 worth of products for your life, beauty, and health.
- Target beauty box: $10/month for drugstore brand large samples.
- Walmart: $5.00/month shipped for drugstore brand makeup and beauty samples.
6. Ask for three free samples from Sephora every time you’re there.
If you don’t already shop at Sephora, this should be the reason you start hitting the store. Every time you go in, you can request three free samples of pretty much anything in the store!
The awesome Sephora employees will fill a little container with product for you to try, and it’s not a small amount of product. Choose your sample so you get the most bang for your buck, and you can get several uses out of it.
Check out our ten most surprising samples you must request at Sephora for some ideas!
7. Shop Hollar.com for $2-$8 prices on makeup like Nyx and Essie.
We love love love Hollar for makeup deals. Haven’t heard of Hollar? It’s an online dollar store that often features brand name items.
We’ve scored Essie nail polish for only $1.80 shipped, and they have a huge selection of products for a fraction of their normal prices. But act fast, because their inventory is limited and changes all the time. (pssst…this also means you should check this website all the time for the latest deals!)
Our favorite Hollar deals on makeup right now:
- Nyx lipstick: $2.00.
- Almay Smart Shade foundation: $5.00
- Revlon Highlighting palette: $4.00
- Stila Brighten & Correct Concealer: $8.00