We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Upgrading your thermostat to a more energy-efficient programmable model can help you save up to 10% on your heating and cooling bills according to the U.S. Department of Energy. Despite that, shelling out $100 or more on a new one can put a major dent in the pocketbook. It’s almost enough to make you not bother or put it off longer. But did you know that your power company may offer rebates or even free thermostats to help you make the switch? Fortunately, it’s true.
In an effort to promote energy conservation (and save you money), power companies across the U.S. offer discounts or rebates on energy-efficient stuff such as LED bulbs, smart thermostats, and power strips as incentives. However, these offers can vary widely and may have eligibility requirements such as income. To find out if you’re eligible for rebates, discounts, or free products, contact your power company or visit their website and search for rebates or free thermostat. You can also Google “free thermostat” along with the name of your power company.
So if you’re looking to replace your thermostat with a newer model, listen up. We’ve got some intel on how you can take advantage of these programs to help you save money and energy.
Download The Krazy Coupon Lady app for more money-saving tips, deals and coupons.
Look for rebates and discounts on your power company’s website.
When we searched the website for DTE (Detroit area-based power company) we found six freebies, including light bulbs, showerhead, and a thermostat, plus four rebates. Florida Light and Power has two instant rebates; $220 for ceiling insulation and $150 rebate on a new A/C. If you live in New Jersey and Public Service Electric & Gas (PSE&G) is your power company you have a large number of instant rebate savings available, on thermostats, lighting, power strips, air filters and air purifiers. Check them out:
Get a thermostat for free or pretty cheap.
- Google Nest Thermostat $0, full price $129.99
- Honeywell Home T5 Smart Touchscreen Thermostat, $19.99, full price $119.99
- Emerson Sensi Smart Thermostat $29, full price $129
- Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Colo Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat, $39.99, full price $179.99
- Ecobee3 Lite, $49.99, full price $149.99
- Emerson Sensi Touch Smart Thermostat, $69, full price $169
- Ecobee Smart Thermostat Enhanced, $89.99, full price $189.99
- Google Nest Learning Thermostat, $99, full price $249
- Honeywell Home T9 Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Sensor, $109.99, full price $209.99
- Ecobee Smart Thermostat Premium, $149.99, full price $249.99
Lighting: Save up to $20
- Simply Conserve 6-Watt A19 LED, 4-Pack, $3.14 – $9.43, full price $11.14
- Simply Conserve 9-Watt A19 LED, 4-Pack, $3.14 – $9.43, full price $11.14
- Simply Conserve 13-Watt A19 LED, 4-Pack, $9.93, full price $17.93
- Satco 11-Watt A19 LED, 4-Pack, $13.75 – $20.63, full price $21.75
- Philips Hue E26 Single Bulbs, 1-Pack, $10.99, full price $15.99
- Philips Hue White E26 A19, 4-Pack, $29.99, full price $49.99
- Philips Hue White Ambiance E26, 1-Pack, $22.99, full price $27.99
Power Strips: Save up to $15
- Simply Conserve 7-Outlet Advanced Power Strip, $1, full price $16
- TrickleStar 4-Outlet Advanced PowerTap, $9.99, full price $24.99
- TrickleStar 7-Outlet Advanced Power Strip, $15, full price $30
- TrickleStar 7-Outlet Multi Sensing Advanced Power Strip, $51, full price $76
Note that offers and availability may be limited and subject to change.
Sign up for all the freebies.
Sign up for all the freebies you can, including a thermostat. On the PSE&G site, we found free power outlets, free nightlights, free light bulbs, and a free Niagara Bubble Spray Faucet Aerator. Here are two kits filled with freebies they’re offering right now (PSE&G New Jersey consumers only):
Free Dual Fuel Savings Kit (Value $71.67)
- 2 Niagara Bubble Spray Faucet Aerator
- 1 Niagara Dual Spray Kitchen Swivel Aerator
- 1 Niagara Earth Showerhead – Chrome
- 2 Simply Conserve LED Night Light
- 4 Simply Conserve 9 watt A19 LED
- 1 Maxlite slim desk lamp
- 1 Simply Conserve 7-Outlet Advanced Power Strip
Free Electric Savings Kit (Value $56.18)
- 2 Simply Conserve LED Night Lights
- 4 Simply Conserve 9-Watt A19 LEDs
- 1 Simply Conserve 7-Outlet Advanced Power Strip
- 1 Maxlite Slim Desk Lamp
Not looking to install a new thermostat? You can still just get the free items and sell them for eBay for an easy side hustle idea. I know a few people who got four thermostats for free and sold them on eBay within the last year — just saying.
TIP: If you’re a customer of a gas company and an electric company, reach out and ask if there are two programs you can sign up for. Some allow this double dipping, while others only offer one total.
Get paid and lower your power bill when you sign up for Rush Hour Rewards.
While you’re racking up savings with your power company, see if they offer Rush Hour Rewards. This is a program that can make and save you even more money.
Here’s the scoop: Energy Rush Hours are just like real rush hours on the roads. Basically, in place of cars, it’s everyone (potentially millions of people) in your area turning on their AC or heating at the same time. Moreover, that demand is on top of all the TVs, computers, appliances, etc., running in each household. Any time customers increase their energy demands, power companies call these peak hours, when energy consumption costs rise.
To reduce the load of peak hours on their grids, risk of outages, and costs to both them and consumers, power companies offer incentives to people that are willing to participate in Rush Hour Rewards. How it works:
- Link your Nest thermostat to your electric/gas account.
- Then get a notification on your thermostat before a Rush Hour that your power company will adjust the thermostat’s temp. They’ll tell you what time it will start and end.
- Finally, once the Rush Hour is over, your Nest thermostat will resume its regular temp schedule.
You’ll receive something up front, like a gift card or money toward your next bill. If you stay with the program for the entire season, you’ll receive another reward, such as a gift card or bill credit. You can opt out at any time.
Rush Hour Rewards
Here are participating Rush Hour companies/programs. Select one to view the available program and its details. You can even sign up with the links below.
- AES Indiana
- Alabama Power
- Alliant Energy
- Ameren Missouri
- Appalachian Power
- Austin Energy
- AutoGrid Flex Saver
- AutoGrid Summer Flex Saver
- AutoGrid Winter Flex Saver
- Beat the Peak
- Blue Ridge Energy
- Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative
- Cape Light Compact
- Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative
- CenterPoint Energy
- Clean Power Alliance
- CNG and SCG
- Colorado Springs Utilities
- ConEdison Electric
- Connect to Save
- Connect to Save NC
- Connected Savings
- Connected Savings CA
- Connected Savings IL
- Connexus Energy
- Consumers Energy
- Cooperative Rewards
- CPS Energy
- Delmarva Power
- Direct Energy
- DTE Smart Savers Gas
- Duke Energy
- Duke Energy Florida
- Duke Energy Indiana
- Duke Energy Progress
- El Paso Electric
- Energy Provider
- Entergy Mississippi
- Entergy New Orleans
- Eversource Gas
- Farmers EC
- Georgia Power
- Green Mountain Energy
- Guadalupe Valley Electric Cooperative
- Hydro One
- Indiana Michigan Power
- Jones-Onslow Electric Membership Cooperative
- Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives
- Local Energy Provider
- Local Utility
- Lumbee River Electric Membership Corporation
- Madison Gas and Electric
- Magic Valley Electric Cooperative
- MidAmerican Energy Company
- National Grid
- National Grid NY Gas
- National Grid Upstate New York
- Northeastern REMC
- NV Energy
- OhmConnect NY
- Omaha Public Power District
- Orange and Rockland
- Peak Savers
- Piedmont Electric Membership Corporation
- PNM Power Saver
- Portland General Electric
- Poudre Valley REA
- Power Provider
- Power Savers
- Power Savers Ontario
- Power Savers Texas
- PSEG Long Island
- Rhode Island Energy
- Roanoke Electric Cooperative
- Sawnee EMC
- South Fork Peak Savers
- South River Electric Membership Corporation
- Southern California Edison
- United Cooperative Services
- United Illuminating
- Washington Gas
- Westerville Electric Division
- Xcel Energy