We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
There’s a reason In-N-Out Burger always has a long wait in the drive-thru. Good freaking burgers.
If you live in California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Texas or Oregon, you might be lucky enough to live near an In-N-Out Burger.
The legend and awe of In-N-Out Burger on the West Coast makes a lot of sense. Although their standard menu is pretty simple, they have one of the most expansive secret menus we’ve seen — as well as some of the cheapest prices for fast food out there.
We’ve dissected the In-N-Out secret menu, unlocked the In-N-Out spread recipe, and found out what makes something “Animal Style.” Here’s everything you need to know about the In-N-Out menu.
1. Making your In-N-Out Animal Style adds no additional cost to burgers.
There are a few In-N-Out secret menu items that don’t cost you anything to order. All you need to do is ask your cashier for these alterations, and you’ll still pay regular price:
- Toasted buns
- Well-done fries
- Animal-Style spread packets you can use on burgers
- Chili peppers
- Grilled onions
2. Never order In-N-Out Animal Style fries — make your own for a 52% discount.
One of the best In-N-Out secret menu items is the Animal Style fries ($3.40), which include melted cheese, In-N-Out spread, and grilled onions on your fries. All you need to do to get these Animal Style fries is ask for them at the register. But you’ll pay more than twice the price of regular fries ($1.60).
Luckily, you can get the In-N-Out Animal Style fries by just asking for a slice of cheese, grilled onions, and a packet of In-N-Out spread on the side of your fries — no additional charge.
The cheese might not be as melty, but that’s how you save 52.9% on these fries.
3. The In-N-Out Flying Dutchman is the most popular In-N-Out secret menu item, and it costs the same as a regular cheeseburger.
The In-N-Out Flying Dutchman is two patties with a slice of cheese in between. It’ll cost you the same price as a cheeseburger ($2.30), but get you twice the meat.
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to get buns on the side for this In-N-Out secret menu item.
4. Get a vegetarian-friendly In-N-Out Grilled Cheese from the secret menu.
The In-N-Out secret menu has two different vegetarian options: the In-N-Out Grilled Cheese ($2.15), which has lettuce, tomatoes, American cheese, and onions in between two buns, and the In-N-Out Veggie Burger ($1.55), which has lettuce, tomatoes, and onions in between two buns.
Note: You can get as many veggies as you want on any In-N-Out burger. No additional charges for onions, peppers, In-N-Out spread, lettuce, or tomatoes.
5. Add up to four patties to your In-N-Out burger for $1.20/patty.
If you want more meat on your In-N-Out burger, it’ll cost you an extra $1.20/patty. Unfortunately, you can’t get a burger with more than four patties since it won’t fit neatly in the wrapper.
The In-N-Out 3×3 costs you $4.70 and comes with three patties and three slices of cheese. And the In-N-Out 4×4 costs $5.90 and comes with four patties and four slices of cheese.
6. There are a few In-N-Out secret menu items that’ll require clever ordering.
You’ll have to do some order-placing gymnastics to get these In-N-Out secret menu items:
- Neopolitan Shake ($2.30): chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry shake in one cup
- Monkey Style Burger ($5.95): You’ll have to make this one by yourself. It’s Animal Style fries ($3.55) inside a regular burger ($2.40).
- Roadkill Style Fries ($5.85): You’ll have to make this one by yourself. Order a Flying Dutchman ($2.30) and combine it with Animal Style fries ($3.55).
- Root Beer Float ($2.10)
- Pup Patty ($1): Patty for your dog. Unsalted beef.
- Protein Style ($2.25): Lettuce wrapped burger.
7. Ordering from In-N-Out will save you 49% on burgers compared to Five Guys.
There has always been a rivalry between In-N-Out, Shake Shack, and Five Guys: who makes the best fast-food burger? Well, we don’t have all the answers, but we do know that ordering In-N-Out will save you 49.3% when compared to Five Guys and 1.9% when compared to Shake Shack.
- In-N-Out: $1.05/ounce
- Shake Shack: $1.07/ounce
- Five Guys: $2.07/ounce
8. Become an In-N-Out employee to get one free meal per shift.
You will only be able to get the free meal during your shift, and you can only use it for yourself — no family members or friends.
9. Skip long lines at In-N-Out when you go on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday from 2 – 4 p.m.
No matter where you go, In-N-Out is almost always crazy busy, but the In-N-Out hours when you’ll have the shortest wait are between 2 and 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.
10. Make your own In-N-Out spread at home.
The In-N-Out spread is legendary, and if you don’t live near an In-N-Out location or if you just want to make it at home, grab these ingredients, mix them in a bowl, and chill for at least an hour (according to the recipe):
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
11. Don’t trust everything on TikTok — the In-N-Out Chicken Sandwich doesn’t exist.
There are a lot of TikToks out there boasting that they got an In-N-Out Chicken Sandwich. Don’t trust them. In-N-Out has publicly stated that this menu item doesn’t exist, and they have no plans to add it to the menu.
They also won’t make you a Monkey Style shake (a cookies & cream milkshake with In-N-Out spread in it).
Tip: In-N-Out social media won’t get you any In-N-Out coupons or discounts.
12. In-N-Out combos don’t save you any money.
An In-N-Out combo will get you a burger, medium drink, and fries. Unfortunately, it won’t get you any discount and only makes it easier for you to order off the menu.
Tip: You can get a cup of water for free to save $1.65 — at least 20% — by skipping the soda. One of the best fast food tips you should know.
13. There is no In-N-Out delivery.
14. Pay at In-N-Out with your Apple Pay or Google Pay.
Does In-N-Out take Apple Pay and Google Pay? Yes, you can use your Apple Pay and Google Pay account to pay at In-N-Out. Just tap your phone to the kiosk when it asks for your credit card, and you’re all set to go.
15. Get discounted In-N-Out gift cards from Raise.com to get instant discounts at In-N-Out.
There weren’t any In-N-Out gift card deals from Raise.com, but you should set a brand alert to be notified when they’ll come back. Getting a discounted In-N-Out gift card means you’ll get a permanent discount for all of your In-N-Out purchases.
16. The In-N-Out app only locates where you can find In-N-Out locations.
The In-N-Out app isn’t very impressive. The only thing you can do on the app is find out where each In-N-Out location is. You won’t get any In-N-Out coupons or deals through the app.
Tip: You won’t be able to order In-N-Out online. You can only order In-N-Out in person. Any attempts to get delivery have been smacked down by the company’s lawyers.