We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Don’t want to step inside a grocery store? With Safeway grocery pickup and Albertsons grocery pickup being totally free and really easy, you don’t have to.
Placing an order for grocery pickup is easy through the Safeway and Albertsons Delivery & Pickup apps. I’ve lumped Safeway and Albertsons together for this article, because both chains are owned by Cerberus Capital Management, and their pickup services and apps are nearly identical.
Here’s everything you need to know about ordering grocery pickup from Albertsons and Safeway.
Your Guide to Safeway Grocery Pickup and Albertsons Grocery Pickup:
1. Use a Safeway Drive Up & Go Promo Code to save $20 on your first online order.
Through Dec. 31, 2021, use the coupon/promo code below to save $20 off an order over $75.
- SAVE20 will get you $20 off $75 — plus a waived delivery fee (exact fee varies) if you decide to go that route instead of pickup.
- Check for Safeway coupons and deals regularly to get the most savings!
- And while you’re at it, download the Krazy Coupon Lady app for even more deals
2. Get the most savings with the Safeway for U and Albertsons for U programs.
One of the best things about the Safeway for U and Albertsons for U programs is that it sends you personalized deals and coupons based on your order history.
You’ll know if it’s a Safeway or Albertsons for U deal because of the red and yellow “U” logo in the upper left-hand corner and the horizontal “Clip Coupon” button below the item.
Using your digital coupons is super easy — just click the “Clip Coupon” button.
3. For even more sales and coupons, don’t forget to check out the app’s deals page.
First things first, download the Safeway app and the Albertson’s app. For general store sales and coupons, tap on the “Safeway (or Albertsons) for U” icon on the bottom menu bar, then tap the “New Deals” page on the top menu bar (between “Category” and “Expiring soon”). There, you’ll find promo codes for certain items (you can top on an item to see its aisle/category), items with special club card pricing, and BOGO offers. Here’s an example of a recent BOGO deal I found:
Buy 1 7-ounce bottle, Get 1 free
Final Price: $0.98 for two or $0.49 each
4. Can I stack coupons with an order?
5. You can use rebate apps to save even more on your grocery pickup order.
- Checkout 51: Checkout 51 is currently accepting all Safeway e-receipts for their rebates. You can see a list of Checkout 51’s Safeway coupons and offers here.
- Fetch Rewards: You can earn points by uploading your receipt to the Fetch Rewards app. Accumulated points can be exchanged for a Safeway gift card — 5,000 points equal $5.
- Ibotta: Ibotta does cash back on a ton of Safeway and Albertson’s items but just started accepting e-receipts in early April in certain markets. Before then, Ibotta’s cash-back program was limited to in-store purchases.
6. Get plastic reusable bags with your Safeway or Albertsons order for $0.10 per bag.
You know those nice thick plastic bags you can buy at Target? Welp, now Safeway and Albertsons will put your groceries in similar bags for $0.10 per bag. Considering these bags go for $0.50 – $1.00, I got 10 bags that I’ll definitely be using for wet bathing suits, cleaning up after the dog, picking apples, you name it!
Here’s how to order grocery pickup through the Albertsons and Safeway apps:
Step 1: Download the Delivery & Pickup app for the store you want. (Safeway’s app or Albertsons’ app).
You can’t order online through the traditional Safeway and Albertsons apps. Instead, download their respective “Delivery & Pickup” apps (pictured above) to order groceries for delivery or pickup.
Delivery & Pickup app for iPhone:
Delivery & Pickup app for Android:
Step 2: Create your Safeway for U or Albertsons for U account and log in to start shopping.
If you don’t already have an account with Safeway or Albertsons, you’ll want to create one now, because you can browse items as a guest but won’t be able to check out unless you have an account set up.
If you have an account with Safeway or Albertsons but don’t think your email is attached to it, you can link your email to your Albertsons loyalty card or link your email to your Safeway card. Then, simply log in to the app using the same email and password you created when you registered your account.
Step 3: Once you’re logged in to the Delivery & Pickup Albertsons app, search for the store closest to you.
Type in your zip code or share your location with the app, and you’re in. You can also manually select your preferred store if it’s not the location closest to you.
Step 4: If you really need or want an item, allow for substitutions.
It’s common — especially now — for certain grocery store items to be out of stock of certain items. If you’re not super picky about having a particular brand of something, make sure to uncheck the “No substitution if unavailable” box.
What’s nice about the substitution feature in the Albertsons and Safeway apps is that it’s per item, rather than the order as a whole. I know that there are certain brands and items I’m partial to and like that I have the option to select “no substitution” just for those items while leaving the rest of my cart open to other subs.
If the store is out of an item, you won’t be charged for it. But keep in mind that you will be charged for your replacements, and in some cases the new item might be more expensive.
PRO TIP: The “aisle categories” in the app is not an exhaustive list of all their in-stock items. If you’re looking for something specific, type it into the search bar.
Step 5: Choose your Safeway or Albertsons grocery pickup hour.
Slots for a Safeway or Albertsons pickup are much easier to get than delivery times. I find there are often same-day windows available, although it’s reasonable to expect you may have to wait until the next day if the store is busy or you place your order in the afternoon. Each window is one-hour long, allowing for flexibility for both the store and you.
Keep in mind that orders are final. You can’t modify your order through Safeway or Albertsons’ Delivery & Pickup apps at all after you place it. If you need to remove something from your order, call your Vons store and their employees will make sure the item’s not included.
Step 6: Before you pay, double-check your grocery cart.
Make sure you have selected or unselected the no-substitution button on every item, and that the order will be placed with your preferred store location.
Step 7: Place your order and follow along with text updates.
Once you pay with your credit or debit card, Safeway or Albertsons will send you text updates straight to your phone when your order’s ready.
Step 8: Find the designated pickup parking spots and call the number on the sign.
Albertsons and Safeway have special grocery pickup spaces in their parking lot. There will be a plaque with a number on it as well. Call that number to alert the store you are there for your pickup order.
Step 9: Pop your trunk or open your back doors for the store associate.
That way, they can load your groceries — and the experience will truly be sans any questionable contact. Now it’s time to head home and put those groceries away!
Top 10 Albertsons/Safeway Grocery Pickup FAQs
1. Are Albertsons/Safeway weekly ad deals available at Drive-Up grocery pickup?
2. Does Albertsons/Safeway accept paper coupons at Drive-Up grocery pickup?
Because the order is already placed, the transaction finalized, and receipt printed, Albertsons/Safeway will not accept any additional coupons upon pickup.
3. Can I get my club prices with Albertsons/Safeway grocery pickup?
Yes! You will see club card pricing for eligible items when logged in to the Albertsons/Safeway grocery pickup apps.
4. Can I pay for my Albertsons/Safeway Drive-Up grocery pickup order with a discounted gift card?
While Albertsons and Safeway accept gift cards for in-store shopping, customers cannot currently pay for online orders with a gift card.
5. Does Albertsons/Safeway price match competitors for grocery pickup orders?
Albertsons/Safeway does not price match competitors in store or online.
6. Can I purchase alcohol through Albertsons and Safeway grocery pickup?
Yes you can. Just make sure someone at least 21 years of age with a valid photo ID is in the car.
7. Can you use EBT for Albertsons/Safeway online orders?
Yep! Just sign in or create an account on your local store’s website or app. After adding groceries to your virtual cart and designating a pickup time, select “SNAP EBT” as the payment option at checkout. When you arrive at the store, use your SNAP EBT or EBT Cash card to complete the transaction with your associate.
8. How long will Safeway/Albertsons hold your pickup order?
According to Albertsons’ terms and conditions, grocery pickup orders not claimed by 8 p.m. local time on the scheduled day will be canceled. If you call ahead and let them know, though, they might agree to hold your items through the following morning.
You will be refunded for your order, but since the items will need to be restocked, the fine print says the grocery store reserves “the right to charge a restocking fee for orders that are restocked.” I doubt they’d do it, but good to know.
9. Can someone else pick up my Albertsons/Safeway grocery pickup order?
Yes, as long as they have the correct full name on the order as well as the order number.
10. Should I tip the person who helped load the groceries into my car?
Safeway and Albertsons grocery pickup programs are not done by a third party but by store employees, and they cannot accept tips.
Thanks for reading. Drop your favorite Albertsons or Safeway hacks in the comments below!