Next time you’re shopping at Kohl’s, you could save 60% (or even more!), thanks to frequent Kohl’s coupons and these expert money-saving hacks.
In fact, you’ll be a Kohl’s shopping pro once you learn everything you ever wanted to know about how to get Kohl’s free shipping, make the most of Kohl’s Cash, and how to find Kohl’s best sales.
Don’t forget to download the KCL app and set Kohl’s as your favorite store! We’ll notify you of all the Kohl’s sales, coupons, and promo codes.
1. Get 15% off and Kohl’s coupons when you sign up for Kohl’s text and email lists.
Getting a hold of as many Kohl’s coupons as you can is key to saving money shopping at Kohl’s. In addition to finding promo codes on Kohls.com, here are a few foolproof ways to get a coupon:
- Text SAVE07 to KOHLS (56457) and you’ll get a 15% off coupon.
- Get another 15% off coupon by joining the Kohl’s email list.
2. Earn an extra 5% all the time with the Kohl’s Rewards loyalty program.
Sign up for Kohl’s Rewards in store, online, or in-app. When you pay, just show your rewards card, your mobile device, or your email. Earn 5% back in Kohl’s Cash every day on every purchase.
In addition to regularly accruing rewards with each purchase, you’ll also receive special Kohl’s coupons and promo codes throughout the year.
Just don’t make the rookie mistake of not giving them your birth date when signing up. You want a birthday discount, don’t you?!
3. Get free shipping when you shop Kohl’s online or in store.
As a rule of thumb, I never pay a shipping fee. Kohl’s standard is a $75 minimum spend for free shipping when shopping Kohl’s online, but you can also get free shipping by ordering something in store at the Kohl’s kiosk.
Here are all the ways to get Kohl’s free shipping:
- Get Kohl’s free shipping via the Kohl’s kiosk. These electronic, in-store stations allow you to search Kohls.com inventory and place an order; all Kohl’s kiosk orders include free shipping, with the exception of some extra large or heavy items, which may have a surcharge. You can stack coupon codes just like online, as well as earn and redeem Kohl’s Cash via kiosk orders, too.
- Get Kohl’s free shipping when you turn on location services in store. When you’re shopping in person, you can get free shipping when you order from the Kohl’s app. Be sure to turn on your location services so Kohl’s knows you’re in-store ordering!
- Get Kohl’s free shipping when you spend at least $75. You must meet the $75 minimum spending threshold in order to get Kohl’s free shipping when you shop Kohls.com. This code is applied after coupons and Kohl’s Cash, meaning you have to spend $75 after all discounts are applied.
- Avoid a shipping fee by selecting Kohl’s curbside pickup or the ship-to-store option. You’ll need to drive to a Kohl’s store, but at least you won’t pay shipping on that item you got for free with Kohl’s Cash!
4. Shop during earning periods to get $10 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50 you spend.
Kohl’s Cash is one of the best things about shopping at Kohl’s. It’s like free money to spend there. During certain earning periods, you receive $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent. Earning periods are usually between 4 and 14 days directly followed by a days-long redemption period.
Two good-to-knows: 1. You must reach $50 after all applicable discounts are applied and before tax, and 2. Kohl’s Cash is always applied before percent-off coupons and discounts.
To start earning Kohl’s cash, you don’t have to be part of the Kohl’s Rewards program; you need only shop during Kohl’s Cash earning periods, which are announced on the Kohl’s homepage and in ads (similar to how Old Navy runs its Super Cash program).
5. You can use expired Kohl’s Cash for up to 10 days.
Don’t let that Kohl’s Cash go to waste!
Even though it’s not spelled out on Kohl’s website, you can absolutely use expired Kohl’s Cash in store or online for up to 10 days from the date of expiration. When in store, give the Kohl’s Cash to the associate to apply it to your order.
If you’re shopping online, find the item you want to buy on Kohls.com, then place your order over the phone by calling (855) 564-5705. The associate will apply your expired Kohl’s Cash to your order.
PRO TIP: If for some reason the in-store associate won’t accept your expired Kohl’s Cash, just call the number above and place an order from home. Many in-store associates are unaware that they can accept Kohl’s Cash for up to 10 days after its expiration date.
6. Get a 25% off coupon when you make an Amazon return at Kohl’s.
Making an Amazon return at a Kohl’s store is a cinch. Just request a return from Amazon in your Amazon app and select “Kohl’s Dropoff.” Then, bring your item to the designated Amazon returns drop-off area in your local Kohl’s store. You don’t even have to bother packaging it up or anything! Show the associate the return code Amazon sends to your email, and Kohl’s will package it and return it to Amazon for you.
We aren’t sure how long this will last, but for while now Kohl’s has been giving out 25% storewide coupons to anyone doing an in-store Amazon return.
7. Save 35% when you sign up for a Kohl’s credit card.
Only consider the Kohl’s credit card if you shop at least once a month.
When you’re approved for a Kohl’s charge card, you get 35% off your first purchase at the register. But, you gotta use that one-time discount within a day of opening your Kohl’s card.
Exclusive Kohl’s coupon values are up to 30% off and are sent out to cardholders at least 12 times per year. So, when other Kohl’s shoppers get access to 15% off coupons, you’ll receive 30% off coupons instead.
8. Scan paper coupons with the Kohl’s app to redeem online.
Never miss out on a discount again — save them to your phone so they’re always accessible. Scan your physical coupons by tapping “Wallet” inside the Kohl’s app on your mobile phone. Tap “Scan to Enter” and you’ll have it with you next time you swing by Kohl’s — or if you want to shop online.
Of course, if you make a Kohls.com purchase, your Kohl’s Cash will automatically show up in your account and in your app. It’s those pesky (but lovely!) paper coupons that the app really helps with.
9. Stack up to four Kohl’s coupons per purchase.
Like I said, never shop Kohls.com without a coupon code! According to Kohl’s coupon policy, Kohl’s allows up to four promo codes per order and a limit of two if you’re using a mobile device. Don’t forget to look for Kohl’s coupons on KCL, via Kohl’s website, and in your local Kohl’s weekly ad.
10. Calculate your savings in this order.
Regardless of the order in which you input your coupon codes or present your coupons in store, this is how they’ll be calculated in the Kohl’s system:
- Department-specific, dollar-off coupons ($5 off a $20 fragrance purchase); then percent-off, Kohl’s coupon codes (15% off women’s beauty purchase) will be applied to qualifying items.
- Dollar-off coupons (like Kohl’s Cash or $10 off an entire purchase of $50 or more) will be subtracted from your subtotal.
- Only one sitewide, percent-off coupon (15% off an entire purchase) will be applied.
- Free shipping code will be applied if you’re spending at least $75 after all other discounts.
11. Shop Kohl’s Clearance for up to 80% off.
Kohl’s clearance is where it’s at. Savings start at 50% and go up to 80%, sometimes even more.
Plus, you can redeem Kohl’s coupons on clearance items! So, don’t take your 80% and walk away. If possible, use your 15% or 30% off coupon on top of the clearance price for additional savings.
12. Price tags with a square in the corner point you to a Kohl’s sale price.
Knowing Kohl’s coding system will help you spot the best sales!
If you’re looking for a Kohl’s sale in store, focus on finding digital price tags with a square in the upper-right corner. This indicates the item has reached the lowest price of the season, and the price of this item won’t drop again unless it goes on clearance.
Other codes appearing in the upper-right corner of a digital price tag can include:
BB = Bonus Buy
BGH = Buy One, Get One Half Off
PP = Price Point: These items are usually a very good sale price or a featured product.
S = Sale: The item will be on sale for 1-2 weeks.
13. Kohl’s brick-and-mortar stores will match a lower Kohls.com price.
Sometimes Kohl’s online shopping prices are lower than in-store prices. Luckily, Kohl’s stores will match Kohls.com — just show Kohl’s customer service the lower online price and they should adjust it for you.
Kohl’s general price match policy for competitor prices is a bit tricky, though; it has a laundry list of brands it won’t price match. And, Kohl’s physical stores will only match print ad prices from competitors’ physical stores.
But Kohls.com will match competitors’ online prices. You’ll need to call the Kohls.com service center at (855) 564-5705 to request a price match for a competitor’s online sale price.
FYI, you can’t get a price match on clearance items (sale items are OK), during Black Friday week, or on Buy 1 Get 1 (BOGO) items.
14. Get paid when the price drops after your purchase.
Yes, Kohl’s does price adjustments!
If an item you bought goes on sale within 14 days of your purchase, show your original receipt and proof that the price of the item was further reduced from the final price you paid. Clearance and BOGO markdowns are excluded. Unfortunately, you can’t apply a new promo code or coupon to a previously placed order, either.
Request the price adjustment at the customer service desk. See Kohl’s price adjustment policy here.
Any coupons you used on your original purchase must still be valid when you ask for a price adjustment or you can’t apply them to the new, lower price.
15. You can even get a price adjustment if you bought the item using a price match.
If you price match an item at Kohl’s and they sell it to you at the competitor’s lower price, and then your item goes on sale at Kohl’s within the 14-day price adjustment period for even less, you can march back into the store with your receipt and ask for a price adjustment.
Kohl’s will give you the difference just like a regular price adjustment.
16. For Kohl’s best Black Friday sales, shop Kohl’s online.
Kohl’s Black Friday typically has some of the best deals on Nintendo and Fitbit, as well as PJs, slippers, comforters, and towels. All Kohl’s Black Friday deals go live the Monday before Thanksgiving at 12:01 a.m. In 2020, Kohls.com Doorbusters went live at 12:01 a.m. on Thanksgiving day, while their physical stores remained closed all of Thanksgiving Day.
Since the price points and the Kohl’s Cash are the same in store and online, there’s absolutely no reason to go in the store. Unless you like crowds, chaos, and not being the first one to the deals.
Why is Kohl’s one of the best places to shop Black Friday? Because their sale prices are similar to a Target or Walmart, but at Kohl’s you earn that Kohl’s Cash with every purchase.
17. The best things to buy at Kohl’s year-round are small appliances and apparel.
Honestly? The best things to buy at Kohl’s are almost everything. If you twisted my arm and forced me to choose just a few, I’d pick small appliances and apparel, because we routinely see unmatched savings on these items, largely thanks to the Kohl’s Cash you can earn, boosting savings beyond the 60% mark.
A few times a year you can get small appliances like a KitchenAid for up to 50% off (more if you factor in Kohl’s Cash).
Look for up to 80% savings on clearance clothing racks, including brands like Carter’s.
18. The worst things to buy at Kohl’s are toys and beauty items.
Listen, I’m not saying never. But, toys and beauty items are two categories at Kohl’s where you can’t use coupons on your purchase, making them some of the less-awesome items to buy at Kohl’s.
19. Save even more after you buy with mail-in rebates.
Kohl’s mail-in rebates can net you up to $40 or $50 in savings for just a few minutes’ work! Rebate offers can include prepaid Visa cards, cash back, valuable credits towards future purchases, and more.
Always check out Kohl’s rebates before you make small appliances, pots and pans, or small electrics (like an electric razor) purchases, because we’ve seen rebates on items like these throughout the rest of the year, too.
20. If you’re a senior, shop Kohl’s on Wednesdays.
If you’re 60+ years young, shop Kohl’s on Wednesdays in store for a 15% discount. This is considered a sitewide discount, so you can stack it with dollar-off discounts, but not with other percent-off discounts.
Also, regular Kohl’s coupon exclusion rules apply. Read more details about the Kohl’s senior discount.
21. All veterans get Kohl’s military discount on Mondays.
Listen up, this discount isn’t just for active duty and retired military. If you have either an active Military ID or Form DD214, you can get 15% off on Mondays.
This means if you served one tour and received an honorable discharge, the discount is yours, too.
Same rules apply as with the senior discount.
22. Shop with discounted gift cards to save extra on top of coupons and discounts.
Another great way to get more bang for your Kohl’s buck is to buy discounted gift cards online and use them to make your purchase.
For example, we’ve seen up to 5% savings on the face value of Kohl’s gift cards fromRaise.
Kohl’s doesn’t know (or care) that you bought the gift card for a discount, so your savings are built in.
23. Return your Kohl’s item for up to six months after your purchase.
Love the price but not sure you want to commit? Kohl’s knows us.
You can get a full refund up to 180 days after purchase with payment lookup or a receipt. If you don’t have a receipt, you’ll receive merchandise credit “based on a discounted lowest 13-week sale price of the item(s),” according to Kohl’s return policy.
If it’s beyond 180 days, it can’t hurt to ask. In my experience, Kohl’s customer service is extremely accommodating on returns.
Realize that if you earn Kohl’s Cash on an order and then do a partial return on that qualifying order, the Kohl’s Cash would be deducted first. So if you purchased a $139 coffeemaker and earned $20 in Kohl’s Cash, which you spent on other merchandise, and decided to return the coffeemaker, you’d only be refunded $119.