We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Kohl’s shoppers who know how to play the game are able to save more than 50% without breaking a sweat. But Kohl’s doesn’t make it easy. To save at Kohl’s, we need to find our way through a complex set of rules that apply to each coupon and sale.
But that’s why I’m here: to help you make sense of couponing at Kohl’s — and keep your money in your pockets.
We’re gonna start with a breakdown of Kohl’s Cash and rewards, then we’ll highlight how to get Kohl’s coupons, cover the best Kohl’s sales and clearance secrets, and — finally — all the nitty-gritty rules such as price matching, price adjusting, and how to handle Kohl’s customer service issues.
1. Get $10 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50 you spend.
Kohl’s Cash is one of the best things about shopping at Kohl’s. It’s basically free money that Rewards members get any time they shop. But Kohl’s gives Kohl’s Cash to folks who shop during special earning sales or make an Amazon return.
About those special earning windows. Usually you receive $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent, but sometimes you’ll get $5 for every $25 you spend. Kohl’s will let you know on their homepage or in ads. Earning events are rarely longer than two weeks, and they’re followed by a days-long redemption period.
- You must reach $50 after all applicable discounts are applied and before tax.
- Kohl’s Cash is always applied before percent-off coupons and discounts.
- Kohl’s Cash comes in two colors: green and blue, which only matters if you miss your expiration date.
2. You can use expired (green) Kohl’s Cash for up to 7 days.
Don’t let that Kohl’s Cash go to waste!
Even though it’s not spelled out on the Kohl’s website, you can absolutely use expired Kohl’s Cash in store or online for up to 7 days from the date of expiration. When in store, give the Kohl’s Cash to the associate to apply it to your order.
If you’re shopping online, find the item you want to buy on Kohls.com, then place your order over the phone by calling (855) 564-5705. The associate will apply your expired Kohl’s Cash to your order.
Like I said above, this won’t work with blue Kohl’s Cash, which you earn through the Rewards program. Kohl’s Cash earned via Rewards will only be usable for one month.
TIP: If for some reason the in-store associate won’t accept your expired Kohl’s Cash, just call the number above and place an order from home. Many in-store associates are unaware that they can accept Kohl’s Cash for up to 7 days after its expiration date.
3. Earn 5% Kohl’s Cash all the time with the Kohl’s Rewards loyalty program.
Sign up for Kohl’s Rewards in store, online, or in app. When you pay, simply show your Rewards card, your mobile device, or your email. Then, 5% of each purchase will go into your Kohl’s “Wallet.” Pay with a Kohl’s credit card you’ll earn an extra 2.5%, that’s right, 7.5% Kohl’s Rewards on every purchase.
Keeping track of rewards is easy. You can check your rewards balance by tapping the “wallet” icon in your app, clicking on your profile on Kohl’s.com, or even asking a store associate to look up your account with only your name and phone number.
In addition to regularly accruing rewards with each purchase, you’ll also receive special Kohl’s coupons and promo codes throughout the year.
Just don’t make the rookie mistake of not giving them your birthdate when signing up. You want a birthday discount, don’t you?!
4. Get free shipping when you shop Kohl’s online or through the Kohl’s app.
Spend $35 or more on online Kohl’s order, and get free shipping. That’s not the only way to get free shipping at Kohl’s. Place an order via the Kohl’s app or select the “free ship to store” option during online checkout.
Here are the two ways to get Kohl’s free shipping — and they both involve a trip to your local Kohl’s:
- When you turn on location services in store. When you’re shopping in person, you can get free shipping when you order from the Kohl’s app. Be sure to turn on your location services, so Kohl’s knows you’re in-store ordering!
- Selecting the ship-to-store option. You’ll need to drive to a Kohl’s store, but at least you won’t pay shipping on that item you got for free with Kohl’s Cash.
You can always select a free store pickup option during checkout if available.
TIP: Forget placing an order using an in-store kiosk as they have been removed from most, if not all, Kohl’s locations. The reason for their removal is unknown. However, we’ve heard that they were viewed as an unused resource, and Kohl’s is trying to redirect customers to order through their app.
5. Get 15% off and Kohl’s coupons when you sign up for Kohl’s text and email lists.
Getting ahold of as many Kohl’s coupons as you can is key to saving money shopping at Kohl’s. In addition to finding promo codes on Kohls.com, here are a few foolproof ways to get a coupon:
- Text SAVE02 to KOHLS (56457) and you’ll get a 15% off coupon.
- Get another 15% off coupon by joining the Kohl’s email list (opt in to emails when you make your Kohl’s Rewards account).
6. Get a 15% – 25% off coupon or $5 Kohl’s cash when you make an Amazon return at Kohl’s.
Making an Amazon return at a Kohl’s store is a cinch.
Just request a return from Amazon in your Amazon app and select “Kohl’s Dropoff.” Then, bring your item to the designated Amazon returns drop-off area in your local Kohl’s store. You don’t even have to bother packaging it up or anything!
Show the associate the return code Amazon sends to your email, and Kohl’s will package it and return it to Amazon for you. Just like that, you’ve earned a Kohl’s coupon (I’ve seen them give out 15% – 25% off) or $5 in Kohl’s Cash.
7. Receive 15%, 20%, and 30% off Kohl’s coupons each month as a Kohl’s credit cardholder.
But the best cardholder perk is that Kohl’s sends cardholders 15%, 20%, and 30% off coupons each month. That means shopping at Kohl’s once a month just got a lot easier.
By the way, if you manage to spend more than $600 in a year, you’ll become one of what Kohl’s calls their “Most Valuable Customers.” The flattery is nice, but what I really love about it is the $0 minimum free shipping. Yep. Kohl’s M.V.C.’s never pay shipping.
8. Scan paper coupons with the Kohl’s app to redeem online.
Never miss out on a discount again — save them to your phone so they’re always accessible. Scan your physical coupons by tapping “Wallet” inside the Kohl’s app on your mobile phone. Tap “Scan to Enter” and you’ll have it with you next time you swing by Kohl’s — or if you want to shop online.
Of course, if you make a Kohls.com purchase, your Kohl’s Cash will automatically show up in your account and in your app. It’s those pesky (but lovely!) paper coupons that the app really helps with.
9. Stack up to four Kohl’s coupons per purchase.
Like I said, never shop Kohls.com without a coupon code! According to Kohl’s coupon policy, Kohl’s allows up to four promo codes per order (or a limit of two if you’re using a mobile device). But be sure to note two big catches:
- You can only stack one percent-off coupon per transaction.
- Kohl’s coupons are subject to a long list of brand exclusions (yet another reason why I love Kohl’s Cash, which only has a few exclusions).
10. Your savings will be calculated in this order.
Regardless of the order in which you input your coupon codes or present your coupons in store, this is how they’ll be calculated in the Kohl’s system:
- Department-specific, dollar-off coupons ($5 off a $20 fragrance purchase).
- Percent-off, Kohl’s coupon codes (15% off women’s beauty purchase) will be applied to qualifying items.
- Dollar-off coupons (Kohl’s Cash first, then Kohl’s accepts sitewide coupons like $10 off an entire purchase of $50 or more) will be subtracted from your subtotal.
- Only one sitewide, percent-off coupon (15% off an entire purchase) will be applied.
- Free shipping code will be applied if you’re spending at least $75 after all other discounts.
11. Save even more after you buy with mail-in rebates.
Kohl’s mail-in rebates can net you up to $40 or $50 in savings for just a few minutes’ work! Rebate offers can include prepaid Visa cards, cash back, valuable credits towards future purchases, and more.
Here’s how we used a mail-in rebate to get a Toastmaster Immersion Blender (reg. $24.99) for less than $5:
Buy Toastmaster Immersion Blender (reg. $24.99) $19.99, sale price
Buy 1, submit for $12 mail-in rebate, limit 5
Use unique code for 15% off
Free shipping on orders of $75+ or free curbside pickup
Pay $16.99, submit for $12 mail-in rebate
Final Price: $4.99
Always check out Kohl’s rebates before you make small appliances, pots and pans, or small electrics (like an electric razor) purchases, because we’ve seen rebates on items like these throughout the rest of the year, too.
12. Shop with discounted gift cards to save extra on top of coupons and discounts.
Another great way to get more bang for your Kohl’s buck is to buy discounted gift cards online and use them to make your purchase.
For example, we’ve seen up to 5% savings on the face value of Kohl’s gift cards from Raise.
Kohl’s doesn’t know (or care) that you bought the gift card for a discount, so your savings are built in.
13. Use Kohl’s sales schedule and save 40% – 70% on bedding, bras, and swimsuits.
Unless you plan to do a year’s worth of Kohl’s shopping during Black Friday (hey, I wouldn’t totally blame you — more on that sale below), it pays to know Kohl’s sales schedule and sync up your shopping trips accordingly.
And hey, one of the perks of tracking the best Kohl’s deals every week, going back years, is that you start to see when their best sales are. Here are the ones you don’t want to miss:
- January: Kohl’s White Sale: Bedding and home 40 – 65% off, plus $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent
- March: Kohl’s Semi-Annual Intimates Sale: Bras 60% off, plus $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent
- Late May/Early June: Kohl’s Memorial Day Sale: 50 – 70% off swimsuits, women’s sandals 65% off, plus $5 in Kohl’s Cash for every $25 spent
- August: Kohl’s Semi-Annual Intimates Sale: Bras 60% off, plus $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent
- September: Kohl’s Labor Day Sale: 70% off The Big One bedding, 40 – 50% off shoes, 60% off kitchen appliances, plus $5 Kohl’s Cash for every $25 spent
TIP: If you aren’t impressed by the savings in these sales, shop Kohl’s clearance section the weekend after these events wrap up and save 10 – 20% extra — if not more — so long as you get lucky and find items in your size.
14. Shop Kohl’s Black Friday sales online for the best deals and save 50%.
Kohl’s Black Friday typically has some of the best deals on Nintendo and Fitbit, as well as pj’s, slippers, comforters, and towels.
Because the price points and the Kohl’s Cash are the same in store and online, there’s absolutely no reason to go in the store. Unless you like crowds, chaos, and not being the first one to the deals.
Why is Kohl’s one of the best places to shop Black Friday? Because their sale prices are similar to a Target or Walmart, but at Kohl’s you earn that Kohl’s Cash with every purchase, like this Fitbit smartwatch that’ll earn us $30 in Kohl’s Cash:
Buy 1 Fitbit Versa 2 Smartwatch (reg. $179.99) $119.99, sale price
Spend $50, receive $15 Kohl’s Cash, no limit
Free shipping on orders of $75+ or free curbside pickup
Final Price: $119.99, plus $30 Kohl’s Cash
Compare to Target at $113.96, Black Friday sale price, for RedCard holders
15. Shop Kohl’s Clearance for 60% – 80% off shoes, Under Armour, and Nike.
If you’re looking to shop Kohl’s outside of those sales I outlined above, then you’ll find the best savings on Kohl’s clearance — especially on brands like Under Armour and Nike, which are normally excluded from coupons.
Most of the clearance items I find are 55 – 70% off regular price, like these girls’ Nike jersey shorts (reg. $25) for $11.25:
Buy 1 Nike Girls’ 7-16 Jersey Shorts (reg. $25), $11.25 clearance price
Free curbside pickup (use to earn $5 in Kohl’s Cash)
Final Price: $11.25
Or this women’s Under Armour tee for $9 (reg. $30):
Buy 1 Women’s Under Armour Tech Back-Vented Tee (reg. $30), $9 clearance price
Free curbside pickup
Final Price: $9
Clearance markdowns will continue to drop by 5% every few weeks an item doesn’t sell. That’s why it’s a little rare that you’ll see that 80% off, but I’ve saved 80 – 90% on clearance items enough times to know that it’s worth digging. And don’t forget, you can redeem Kohl’s coupons on clearance items, like we did here to save 80% on a pair of women’s loafers:
Buy 1 Nine West Haydyn Women’s Pointed Toe Loafers (reg. $79.99), $15.99 clearance price
Cardholders, use unique coupon code for 15%, 20%, or 30%
Non-cardholders, use code for 15% off
Free curbside pickup
Final Price: $11.19 – $13.59
16. Look for the yellow sticker on Kohl’s clearance price tags.
How do you know something will soon be on clearance? Look for a yellow sticker on the price tag—this indicates the item has reached the lowest price of the season, and the price of this item won’t drop again. . . unless it gets another clearance markdown.
17. Kohl’s brick-and-mortar stores will match a lower Kohls.com price.
Sometimes Kohl’s online shopping prices are lower than in-store prices. Luckily, Kohl’s stores will match Kohls.com — just show Kohl’s customer service the lower online price and they should adjust it for you.
Kohl’s general price match policy for competitor prices is a bit tricky, though; it has a laundry list of brands it won’t price match. And, Kohl’s physical stores will only match print ad prices from competitors’ physical stores.
But Kohls.com will match competitors’ online prices. You’ll need to call the Kohls.com service center at (855) 564-5705 to request a price match for a competitor’s online sale price.
FYI, you can’t get a price match on clearance items (sale items are OK), during Black Friday week, or on Buy 1 Get 1 (BOGO) items.
18. Get paid when the price drops after your purchase.
Yes, Kohl’s does price adjustments!
If an item you bought goes on sale within 14 days of your purchase, show your original receipt and proof that the price of the item was further reduced from the final price you paid. Clearance and BOGO markdowns are excluded. Unfortunately, you can’t apply a new promo code or coupon to a previously placed order, either.
Request the price adjustment at the customer service desk. See Kohl’s price adjustment policy here.
Any coupons you used on your original purchase must still be valid when you ask for a price adjustment or you can’t apply them to the new, lower price.
19. You can even get a price adjustment if you bought the item using a price match.
If you price match an item at Kohl’s and they sell it to you at the competitor’s lower price, and then your item goes on sale at Kohl’s within the 14-day price adjustment period for even less, you can march back into the store with your receipt and ask for a price adjustment.
Kohl’s will give you the difference just like a regular price adjustment.
20. Ask for a 10% discount if you spot a defect on a full-price item.
Get out your eyeglasses for this in-store shopping tip. If you notice a defect on a full-price item at Kohl’s — even if the defect is a cosmetic one — bring your item to the cashier and ask if they’ll lower the price.
Most likely they’ll give you a 10% discount, and then they’ll let you use coupons on top of that discount.
21. The best things to buy at Kohl’s year-round are small appliances and apparel.
Honestly? The best things to buy at Kohl’s are almost everything. If you twisted my arm and forced me to choose just a few, I’d pick small appliances and apparel, because we routinely see unmatched savings on these items, largely thanks to the Kohl’s Cash I used to boost savings well beyond the 60% mark.
In 2021 I saved almost 80% on a Hamilton Beach quesadilla maker (reg. $24.99) when I stacked coupons, Kohl’s Cash, and a mail-in rebate with a Kohl’s sale price:
Buy 1 Hamilton Beach Quesadilla Maker (reg. $24.99), $22.99 sale price
Buy 1, submit for $10 mail-in rebate
Use $5 Kohl’s Rewards Cash
Use code for 15% off
Free curbside pickup
Pay $15.29, submit for $10 mail-in rebate
Final Price: $5.29
I’ve found Under Armour apparel, like this women’s tee (reg. $30) for 70% off on the Kohl’s clearance racks. Other retailers like Dick’s Sporting Goods, even during Black Friday, don’t come close to that.
Buy 1 Under Armour Women’s Tech Back-Vented Tee (reg. $30), $9 clearance price
Free curbside pickup
Final Price: $9
Compare to Dick’s Sporting Goods at $30
22. The worst things to buy at Kohl’s are toys and beauty items.
Listen, I’m not saying never. But, toys and beauty items are two categories at Kohl’s where you can’t use coupons on your purchase, making them some of the less-awesome items to buy at Kohl’s.
23. Shop Kohl’s on Wednesdays for their senior discount.
If you’re 60+ years young, shop Kohl’s on Wednesdays in store for a 15% discount. This is considered a sitewide discount, so you can stack it with dollar-off discounts, but not with other percent-off discounts.
Unfortunately, regular Kohl’s coupon exclusion rules still apply.
24. Get Kohl’s military discount on Mondays.
Listen up, this discount isn’t just for active duty and retired military. If you have either an active Military ID or Form DD214, you can get 15% off on Mondays.
This means if you served one tour and received an honorable discharge, the discount is yours, too.
Same rules apply as with the senior discount.
25. Return your Kohl’s item for up to six months after your purchase.
Kohl’s return policy gives shoppers 180 days to make most returns while still qualifying for a full refund. You don’t even need a receipt either (just provide a phone number or your Kohl’s Rewards account number). If they can’t find any proof of purchase, you’ll still receive a refund based on the lowest 13-week sale price of your item.
So, what’s the catch? The biggest one is that Kohl’s charges for return shipping on all items. But you can easily get around that by making your returns in store.
Oh, and if you’re returning an item you bought with Kohl’s Cash, don’t worry. Kohl’s will refund your Kohl’s Cash. If it’s no longer valid, they’ll give you a new Kohl’s Cash coupon of equal value.
Let me know if you need a little more info on any of these tips, and I’ll be sure to help you out in the comments below. Thanks for reading!