We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Kohl’s shoppers who know how to play the game are able to save more than 50% without breaking a sweat. But Kohl’s doesn’t make it easy. To save on Kohl’s shopping, we need to find our way through a complex set of rules that apply to each coupon and sale.
But that’s why I’m here: to help you make sense of Kohl’s shopping and couponing — and keep more (actual) money in your pocket.
We’re gonna start with a breakdown of Kohl’s Cash and Kohl’s Rewards, then we’ll highlight how to get Kohl’s coupons, cover the best Kohl’s sales and clearance secrets, and — finally — summarize all the nitty-gritty rules such as price matching, price adjusting, and how to handle Kohl’s customer service issues.
1. Get $10 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50 you spend.
Kohl’s Cash is one of the best things about Kohl’s shopping. It’s basically free money that Rewards members earn any time they shop. But Kohl’s also gives Kohl’s Cash to folks who shop during special earning windows or make an Amazon return.
About those special earning windows. Usually you receive $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent, but sometimes you’ll get $5 for every $25 you spend. Kohl’s will let you know on their homepage or in ads. Earning events are rarely longer than two weeks, and they’re followed by a days-long redemption period.
- You must reach $50 after all applicable discounts are applied and before tax.
- Kohl’s Cash is always applied before percent-off coupons and discounts.
- Kohl’s Cash comes in two colors: green and blue, which only matters if you miss your expiration date.
2. You can use expired (green) Kohl’s Cash for up to 10 days.
Don’t let that Kohl’s Cash go to waste!
Even though it’s not spelled out on the Kohl’s website, you can absolutely use expired Kohl’s Cash in-store or online for up to 10 days from the date of expiration. When in-store, just give the Kohl’s Cash paper to the associate to apply it to your order.
If you’re shopping online, find the item you want to buy on Kohls.com, then place your order over the phone by calling (855) 564-5705. The associate will apply your expired Kohl’s Cash to your order.
Like I said above, this won’t work with blue Kohl’s Cash, which you earn through the Rewards program. Kohl’s Cash earned via Rewards will only be usable for one month.
TIP: If for some reason the in-store associate won’t accept your expired Kohl’s Cash, just call the number above and place an order by phone. Many in-store associates are unaware that they can accept Kohl’s Cash for up to 10 days after the expiration date.
3. Earn 5% Kohl’s Cash all the time with the Kohl’s Rewards loyalty program.
Sign up for Kohl’s Rewards in-store, online, or in the Kohl’s app. When you pay, simply show your Rewards card, your mobile device, or give them your phone number. Then, 5% of each purchase will go into your Kohl’s “Wallet.” Pay with a Kohl’s credit card and you’ll earn an extra 2.5%, which makes it a total of 7.5% Kohl’s Rewards on every purchase.
Keeping track of rewards is easy. You can check your rewards balance by tapping the “wallet” icon in your app, clicking on your profile on Kohl’s.com, or even asking a store associate to look up your account with your name and phone number.
In addition to regularly accruing rewards with each purchase, you’ll also receive special Kohl’s coupons and promo codes throughout the year.
Just don’t make the rookie mistake of not giving them your birthdate when signing up. You want a birthday discount, don’t you?!
4. Get free shipping when you shop Kohl’s online or through the Kohl’s app.
Spend $49 or more on online Kohl’s order and you’ll get free shipping. That’s not the only way to get free shipping at Kohl’s, though. Select the “free ship to store” option when you place an order via the Kohl’s app or during online checkout and you’ll save on shipping costs.
Here are the two ways to get Kohl’s free shipping without minimums — and they both involve a trip to your local Kohl’s:
- Select free store pickup during checkout (if it’s available).
- Select the ship-to-store option. You’ll need to drive to a Kohl’s store, but at least you won’t pay to ship that item you got for free with Kohl’s Cash.
5. Get 15% off plus Kohl’s coupons when you sign up for their text and email lists.
Getting a hold of as many Kohl’s coupons as you can is key to saving money shopping at Kohl’s. In addition to finding promo codes on Kohls.com, here are a few foolproof ways to get a coupon:
- Text SAVE02 to KOHLS (56457) and you’ll get a 15% off coupon.
- Get another 15% off coupon by joining the Kohl’s email list (just opt in to emails when you make your Kohl’s Rewards account).
6. Get a 15% – 25% off coupon or $5 Kohl’s Cash when you make an Amazon return at Kohl’s.
Making an Amazon return at Kohl’s stores is a cinch.
Just request a return from Amazon in your Amazon app and select “Kohl’s Dropoff.” Then, bring your item to the designated Amazon returns drop-off area in your local Kohl’s store. You don’t even have to bother packaging it up or anything!
Show the associate the return code Amazon sends to your email, and Kohl’s will package it and return it to Amazon for you. Just like that, you’ve earned a coupon you can use on your next Kohl’s shopping trip. I’ve seen them give out 15% – 25% off or $5 in Kohl’s Cash.
Related: If you make online purchases from retailers like Fabletics or Gymshark, you’ll want to know about the free store coupons you can earn with Happy Returns.
7. Receive 15%, 20%, and 30% off Kohl’s coupons each month as a Kohl’s credit cardholder.
But the best cardholder perk is that Kohl’s sends cardholders 15%, 20%, and 30% off coupons each month. That makes a monthly Kohl’s shopping trip a lot better.
By the way, if you manage to spend more than $600 in a year, you’ll become one of what Kohl’s calls their “Most Valuable Customers.” The flattery is nice, but what I really love about it is the $0 minimum free shipping. Yep. Kohl’s M.V.C.’s never pay for shipping.
8. Scan paper coupons with the Kohl’s app to redeem them online.
Never miss out on a Kohl’s discount again — save paper coupons to your phone so they’re always accessible. You can scan physical coupons in the Kohl’s mobile app. Here’s how to do it:
- Tap the My Kohl’s icon.
- Under the Wallet tab, select Coupons then Add Coupon.
- Scan the barcode on the paper coupon.
Of course, if you make a Kohls.com purchase, your Kohl’s Cash will automatically show up in your account and in your app. It’s those pesky (but lovely!) paper coupons that the app really helps with.
9. Stack up to four Kohl’s coupons per purchase.
Like I said, never shop Kohls.com without a coupon code! According to Kohl’s coupon policy, Kohl’s allows up to four promo codes per order in-store, online, or in the Kohl’s app. But be sure to note two big catches:
- You can only stack one sitewide percent-off coupon per transaction.
- Kohl’s coupons are subject to a long list of brand exclusions (yet another reason why I love Kohl’s Cash, which only has a few exclusions).
10. Your savings will be calculated in this order.
Regardless of the order in which you input your coupon codes or present your coupons in-store, this is how they’ll be calculated in Kohl’s system:
- Department-specific, dollar-off coupons ($5 off a $20 fragrance purchase).
- Percent-off, Kohl’s coupon codes (15% off women’s beauty purchase) will be applied to qualifying items.
- Dollar-off coupons (Kohl’s Cash first, then Kohl’s accepts sitewide coupons like $10 off an entire purchase of $50 or more, and Rewards Cash) will be subtracted from your subtotal.
- Only one sitewide, percent-off coupon (15% off an entire purchase) will be applied.
- Free shipping code will be applied if you’re spending at least $49 after all other discounts.
11. Save even more after you buy with mail-in rebates.
Kohl’s mail-in rebates can net you up to $40 or $50 in savings for just a few minutes of work! Rebate offers can include prepaid Visa cards, cash back, valuable credits toward future purchases, and more.
Here’s how we used a mail-in rebate to get a Toastmaster Immersion Blender (reg. $24.99) for less than $5:
Buy 1, submit for $12 mail-in rebate, limit 5
Use unique code for 15% off
Free shipping on orders of $75+ or free in-store pickup
Pay $16.99, submit for $12 mail-in rebate
Final Price: $4.99
Always check out Kohl’s rebates before you purchase small appliances, pots and pans, or small electrics (like a razor) because we’ve seen rebates on items like these throughout the year.
12. Shop with discounted gift cards to save more on top of coupons and discounts.
Another great way to get more bang for your Kohl’s buck is to buy discounted gift cards online and use them to make your purchase.
For example, we’ve seen up to 5% savings on the face value of Kohl’s gift cards from Raise.
Kohl’s doesn’t know (or care) that you bought the gift card for a discount, so your savings are built in.
13. Use Kohl’s sales schedule and save 40% – 70% on bedding, bras, and swimsuits.
Unless you plan to do a year’s worth of Kohl’s shopping during Black Friday (hey, I wouldn’t blame you — more on that sale below), it pays to know Kohl’s sales schedule and sync up your Kohl’s shopping trips accordingly.
One of the perks of tracking the best Kohl’s shopping deals every week, going back years, is that you start to see when their best sales pop up. Here are the ones you don’t want to miss:
- January: Kohl’s White Sale: Bedding and home 40% – 65% off, plus $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent
- March: Kohl’s Semi-Annual Intimates Sale: Bras 60% off, plus $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent
- Late May/Early June: Kohl’s Memorial Day Sale: 50% – 70% off swimsuits, women’s sandals 65% off, plus $5 in Kohl’s Cash for every $25 spent
- August: Kohl’s Semi-Annual Intimates Sale: Bras 60% off, plus $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent
- September: Kohl’s Labor Day Sale: 70% off The Big One bedding, 40% – 50% off shoes, 60% off kitchen appliances, plus $5 Kohl’s Cash for every $25 spent
TIP: If you aren’t impressed by the savings in these sales, shop Kohl’s clearance section the weekend after these events wrap up and save an extra 10% to 20% — if not more — but the selection will be more picked over.
14. Shop Kohl’s Black Friday sales online for the best deals and save 50%.
Kohl’s Black Friday typically has some of the best deals on Nintendo and Fitbit, as well as pj’s, slippers, comforters, and towels.
Because the price points and the Kohl’s Cash are the same in store and online, there’s absolutely no reason to go in the store. Unless you like crowds, chaos, and not being the first one to the deals.
Why is Kohl’s one of the best places to shop Black Friday? Because their sale prices are similar to a Target or Walmart, but at Kohl’s you earn that Kohl’s Cash with every purchase, like this Fitbit smartwatch from last year. You could have earned $30 in Kohl’s Cash:
Spend $50, receive $15 Kohl’s Cash, no limit
Free shipping on orders of $75+ or free store pickup
Final Price: $119.99, plus $30 Kohl’s Cash
Compare to Target at $113.96, Black Friday sale price, for RedCard holders
15. Shop Kohl’s Clearance for 60% – 80% off shoes, Under Armour, and Nike.
If you’re looking to shop Kohl’s outside of those sales I outlined above, then you’ll find the best savings on Kohl’s clearance — especially on brands like Under Armour and Nike, which are normally excluded from coupons.
Most of the clearance items I find are 55% – 70% off regular price. For example:
Free store pickup (use to earn $5 in Kohl’s Cash)
Final Price: $15
Free store pickup
Final Price: $9
Clearance markdowns will continue to drop by 5% every few weeks if an item doesn’t sell. That’s why it’s a little rare that you’ll see it reach that 80% off, but I’ve saved 80% – 90% on clearance items enough times to know that it’s worth digging. And don’t forget, you can redeem Kohl’s coupons on clearance items, like we did here to save 80% on a pair of women’s loafers:
Cardholders, use unique coupon code for 15%, 20%, or 30% off
Non-cardholders, use code for 15% off
Free store pickup
Final Price: $11.19 – $13.59
16. Look for the yellow sticker on Kohl’s clearance price tags.
How do you know something will soon be on clearance? Look for a yellow sticker on the price tag — this indicates the item has reached the lowest price of the season, and the price of this item won’t drop again. . . unless it gets another clearance markdown.
17. Kohl’s brick-and-mortar stores will match a lower Kohls.com price.
Sometimes Kohl’s online shopping prices are lower than in-store prices. Luckily, Kohl’s stores will match Kohls.com — just show Kohl’s customer service the lower online price and they should adjust it for you.
Kohl’s general price match policy for competitor prices is a bit tricky, though; they have a laundry list of brands they won’t price match. And, Kohl’s physical stores will only match the prices listed in print ads from competitors’ physical stores.
But Kohls.com will match competitors’ online prices, it just takes a little more work. You’ll need to call the Kohls.com service center at (855) 564-5705 to request a price match for a competitor’s online sale price.
FYI, you can’t get a price match on clearance items (sale items are OK), during Black Friday week, the week after, including Cyber Monday, or on Buy 1 Get 1 (BOGO) items.
18. Get paid when the price drops after your purchase.
Yes, Kohl’s does price adjustments!
If an item you bought goes on sale within 14 days of your purchase, show your original receipt and proof that the price of the item was further reduced from the final price you paid. Clearance, Kohl’s Cares merchandise, BOGO markdowns, and some brands are excluded. Unfortunately, you can’t apply a new promo code or coupon to a previously placed order, either.
Request the price adjustment at the customer service desk. See Kohl’s price adjustment policy here.
Any coupons you used on your original purchase must still be valid when you ask for a price adjustment or you can’t apply them to the new, lower price.
19. You can even get a price adjustment if you bought the item using a price match.
If you price match an item at Kohl’s and they sell it to you at the competitor’s lower price, and then your item goes on sale at Kohl’s within the 14-day price adjustment period for even less, you can march back into the store with your receipt and ask for a price adjustment.
Kohl’s will give you the difference just like a regular price adjustment.
20. Ask for a 10% discount if you spot a defect on a full-price item.
Get out your glasses for this in-store Kohl’s shopping tip. If you notice a defect on a full-price item at Kohl’s — even if the defect is a cosmetic one — bring your item to the cashier and ask if they’ll lower the price.
Most likely they’ll give you a 10% discount, and then they’ll let you use coupons on top of that discount.
21. The best things to buy at Kohl’s year-round are small appliances and apparel.
Honestly? The best things to buy at Kohl’s are almost everything. If you twisted my arm and forced me to choose just a few, I’d pick small appliances and apparel, because we routinely see unmatched savings on these items, largely thanks to the Kohl’s Cash I use to boost savings well beyond the 60% mark.
In the past, I’ve saved almost 80% on a Hamilton Beach quesadilla maker (reg. $24.99) when I stacked coupons, Kohl’s Cash, and a mail-in rebate with a Kohl’s sale price:
Buy 1, submit for $10 mail-in rebate
Use $5 Kohl’s Rewards Cash
Use code for 15% off
Free store pickup
Pay $15.29, submit for $10 mail-in rebate
Final Price: $5.29
I’ve found Under Armour apparel, like this women’s tee (reg. $30) for 70% off on Kohl’s clearance racks. Other retailers like Dick’s Sporting Goods, even during Black Friday, don’t come close to that.
Free store pickup
Final Price: $9
22. The worst things to buy are Kohl’s toys and beauty items.
Listen, I’m not saying never. But, toys and beauty items (even in Sephora at Kohl’s) are two categories at Kohl’s where you can’t use coupons on your purchase, making them some of the less-awesome things to buy at Kohl’s.
23. Do your Kohl’s shopping on Wednesdays for their 15% senior discount.
If you’re 60+ years young, plan your Kohl’s shopping trip on Wednesdays in-store for a 15% discount. This is considered a sitewide discount, so you can stack it with dollar-off discounts, but not with other percent-off discounts.
Unfortunately, regular Kohl’s coupon exclusion rules still apply.
24. Get Kohl’s military discount (15% off) on Mondays.
Listen up, this discount isn’t just for active duty and retired military. If you have either an active Military ID or Form DD214, you can get 15% off on Mondays.
This means if you served one tour and received an honorable discharge, the discount is yours, too.
The same rules apply as with the senior discount in Tip #23.
25. Return your Kohl’s item for up to six months after your purchase.
Kohl’s return policy gives shoppers 180 days to make most returns while still qualifying for a full refund. You don’t even need a receipt (just provide a phone number or your Kohl’s Rewards account number).
So, what’s the catch? The biggest one is that Kohl’s charges for return shipping on all items. But you can easily get around that by making your returns in store.
Oh, and if you’re returning an item you bought with Kohl’s Cash, don’t worry. Kohl’s will refund your Kohl’s Cash. If it’s no longer valid, they’ll give you a new Kohl’s Cash coupon of equal value.
Let me know if you need a little more info on any of these tips, and I’ll be sure to help you out in the comments below. Thanks for reading!