1. Shop with a retailer that offers free gift cards as a perk.
See who’s giving away a free gift card with the purchase of a gift card here!
2. Ask for a one-time price adjustment if you see a better price within 7-14 days of your original purchase.
Download the Slice app to track your purchases and organize your receipts. It will alert you when it’s time to request the refund!
Learn which stores have the best price adjustment policies here.
3. Compare prices quickly with the Amazon app.
Use the Amazon app while shopping in-store for price comparisons and product reviews. If you’re shopping at Target or Walmart and notice Amazon has a cheaper selling price, don’t forget that they’ll match that price.
4. When joining retailer email lists, say your birthday is in December so you get discounts and coupons now.
5. Get a free Amazon Prime trial and use it to ship gifts without charge.
Everyone gets a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime. Get yours now to save on shipping.
6. Shop for (and with) discounted gift cards.
If you have a hard time staying on budget or want to increase your savings even more, shop with a discounted gift card from Raise.com—you can save up to 30%! You can also get 5% off gift cards at Target with a Target REDcard and inexpensive gift cards at Sam’s Club and Costco.
7. Stack coupon codes online.
For example, at Kohls.com, you can use One sitewide+two department specific+Kohl’s Cash. Or, one sitewide+three Kohl’s Cash coupon codes in one transaction. Other stores that permit coupon-code stacking are:
- Old Navy
- Victoria’s Secret
- New Egg
- Sally’s Beauty Supply
8. Convert your credit card rewards points into gift cards you can re-gift.
9. Visit thrift stores in high-income areas of town.
Goodwill, The Salvation Army, and others receive donations year-round, but the holidays are when you can find high-end holiday wear and gifts for a fraction of their full-retail cost.
10. Take advantage of end-of-season sales and stock up on gifts you can give throughout the year.
11. Open a new credit card and pay it off before the interest hits to take advantage of the savings perks.
If you have good credit and little history of opening credit cards (at least within the last 2 years) it won’t hurt your credit to open a new card or two during the holidays.
12. Price match to avoid shipping costs and to save time.
If you find a great deal at ToysRUs.com or Amazon.com but don’t want to pay shipping, price match at Target or Walmart—both will match Amazon and Toys “R” Us prices.
13. Place gift orders at any Kohl’s kiosk and ship items anywhere in the U.S. for free.
At the kiosk, you can stack coupon codes just like online, as well as earn and redeem Kohl’s Cash.
14. Make rewards by purchasing gift cards at some drugstores.
Rite Aid occasionally offers extra rewards points when you purchase a gift card. For example, purchase a $25 gift card and get a $5 +Up Reward.