We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Veterans Day freebies are a way businesses honor those who have served or are currently serving in our military. While those offers are typically only available on Nov. 11, there are a lot of companies providing military discounts on services or items year-round. Often these savings come in the form of a flat percentage-off military discount. However, the Verizon military discount operates a little differently.
The amount you’ll save with the Verizon military discount depends on whether you’re shopping for cell phone plans or internet service. Another factor when applying the discount is how many lines you have on your plan or the speed of your internet service.
Sound confusing? It is a little bit. But the discount is worth exploring because any savings is worthwhile. We’re breaking down the ins and outs of the program below.
Be sure to download the KCL app to keep on top of deals from multiple retailers and service providers — whether they’re military discounts or day-to-day savings.
The Verizon Wireless military discount is $25/month max.
The Verizon military discount varies depending on your plan and number of lines. You’ll save:
- $10 per billing cycle on one line
- $25 per billing cycle on 2 – 3 lines
- $20 per billing cycle with 4 lines or more
It’s only available for three different plans — Verizon’s largest packages. All of the packages are 5G, and all of them fall under the “unlimited” category.
5G Get More Plan
The first and largest plan is Verizon’s 5G Get More plan. This plan comes with:
- Unlimited access to 5G or 4G LTE premium data; which of these you get will depend on cell tower congestion in your area at any given time
- 50GB premium mobile hotspot data
- Complimentary access to Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Apple Arcade or Google Play Pass, Apple Music, 600GB on the Verizon Cloud, and up to 12 TravelPass days per year for free international calling
Before the military discount, this plan costs:
- $90 per line if you just have one line
- $80 per line if you have 2 lines
- $65 per line if you have 3 lines
- $55 per line if you have 4 lines
- $50 per line if you have 5 or more lines
All of these prices assume you opt into paperless billing. If you don’t, you’ll pay $10 more per line. The same goes for all the plans below.
5G Play More Plan
The next tier is 5G Play More. This plan comes with:
- 50GB of 5G or 4G LTE premium data
- 25GB premium mobile hotspot data
- Complimentary access to Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+, Apple Arcade, or Google Play Pass
Before the military discount, this plan costs:
- $80 per line if you just have one line
- $70 per line if you have 2 lines
- $55 per line if you have 3 lines
- $45 per line if you have 4 lines
- $40 per line if you have 5 or more lines
5G Do More Plan
The 5G Do More plan is identical to the 5G Play More plan in terms of pricing and data access. The difference is in the perks.
While Play More gives you access to entertainment platforms for free, the 5G Do More plan gives you access to 12 TravelPass days per year. The TravelPass includes free international calling and 600GB of storage in the Verizon Cloud.
Verizon is a huge military employer, consistently ranking in the top 10 in the country. (And not just for veterans — they employ military spouses, too!) Their employee discount is even bigger than their military discount. It’s a whopping 50%.
Verizon business smartphone plans get a $5/month military discount.
Above we listed all of the prices for personal line plans. But business lines are eligible for the Verizon military discount, too. This is much simpler than the personal plans. If you have a business line with Verizon, you’ll get $5 off your $35 per month business unlimited wireless plan. That’s a grand total of 14% off.
Keep in mind, this discount assumes you purchase your smartphone from Verizon before starting service.
The Verizon Fios military discount is 20% – 23%.
Separately, you can get a military discount on your Fios service through Verizon. The amount of the discount depends on your internet speed:
- 1G plan: $49.99 per month (reg. $64.99 per month), 23% discount
- 500 Mbps plan: $34.99 per month (reg. $44.99 per month), 22% discount
- 300 Mbps plan: $19.99 per month (reg. $24.99 per month), 20% discount
Related: Target’s Military Discount — How to Qualify & When to Use it
The military discount is available beyond the four main branches.
You’ll get the Verizon military discount if you’re active duty or retired Army, Air Force, Navy, or Marines. You’ll also get it as a veteran, dependent, or surviving spouse.
But this discount is also available to the same group of people who are affiliated with the:
- Space Force
- Coast Guard
- NOAA Corps
- Public Health Service
Qualify for the Verizon military discount through ID.me.
ID.me is an identity verification service. You’ll need to provide some basics like your rank, branch, and dates of service.
You’ll also need to verify your claims to service by linking your USAA membership, signing up with your .mil email address, giving ID.me permission to look you up in military databases, or by providing supporting documentation yourself.
If you choose to provide the documentation yourself, you’ll need one of these forms. Which one you need to show depends on how and when you were affiliated with the military:
- Reserve activation orders
- Enlistment contract
- NGB Form 22
- Reserve separation orders
- Veteran identification card
- Veteran health identification card
- State ID with VETERAN endorsement
- DD Form 1300
Stack your military discount on top of your bundle discount.
You can absolutely stack your Verizon military discount on top of any bundle discounts. For example, with any of the eligible personal line 5G plans, you can get $25 off your home internet bill. This bill will already be marked down 20% – 23% thanks to your military affiliation.
Claim the Verizon military discount instead of Apple’s.
Apple offers a military discount, but it’s really not worth it on cell phones. You can’t claim Apple’s military discount if you’re claiming a service provider’s military discount. So you’ll have to pick one or the other.
Apple’s military discount only helps you save money one time: when you purchase the phone. Verizon’s military discount helps you save money month after month, adding up to more money over time. You may even save more than if you purchased your phone through Apple in the first month alone.
Plus, you don’t need to purchase an iPhone through Apple. Verizon regularly offers deals for free phones, including iPhones. For example, in October 2022 the free model offers included:
- iPhone 13 mini (New)
- iPhone 12 (New)
- iPhone 12 Pro (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone 12 Pro Max (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone 12 mini (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone SE, 3rd gen. (New)
- iPhone 11 (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone 11 Pro (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone 11 Pro Max (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone X (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone XR (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone 8 (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone 8 Plus (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone XS (Pre-Owned)
- iPhone XS Max(Pre-Owned)
A 100% discount is way better than Apple’s 10% military discount. Plus, you’ll get that extra savings each and every month with the Verizon military discount on your cell and internet service.