Not only can you score a gift card for free, but in most cases, it’s pretty easy. Earn a gift card by doing things you are already doing, like shopping online, cleaning out your closet, and grocery shopping.
Check out these 16 ways to earn free gift cards:
1. Refer a friend for a service or credit card you love.
Keep in mind you generally won’t score a free gift card for just the referral alone. A friend may need to make a purchase or keep an account open for a certain amount of time.
These companies offer free gift cards for referring a friend:
- Comcast: Get up to $500 in Visa gift cards ($100 for first friend, $200 for second, and $200 for third) for recommending Comcast cable.
- Verizon Wireless: Get up to $200 in Visa Rewards cards for referring friends to Verizon.
- Sam’s Club: Receive a $10 e-gift card for every friend that signs up for a Sam’s Club membership.
- Raise: You’ll get $5 deposited into your Raise account to use on any gift card when your friend makes a purchase (up to $100 per year).
- Gift Card Granny: Earn $5 Granny Rewards for each friend that signs up.
- Ria: Get a $20 Amazon gift card when your friend transfers money with Ria.
- MOO: Receive a $15 MOO gift card when your friend makes their first purchase with MOO.
- TurboTax: Score a $10 Amazon gift card when your friend completes their taxes with TurboTax.
- Ancestry.com: Earn a $10 Amazon gift card when your friend orders AncestryDNA.
- REI CO-OP MasterCard: Score a $20 REI gift card per friend that signs up for the REI credit card.
- T-Mobile: Get a $50 MasterCard card for every friend that joins T-Mobile, up to 100 accounts per year.
- Check ‘n Go: Earn a $50 TangoCard.com gift card (which includes Walmart, Amazon, and Target) for a Check n’ Go approved loan that you referred.
- Sprint: Score a $100 Visa gift card per friend that signs up with Sprint, up to $500 per year.
- PLS 3rd Learning: Refer friends to PLS 3rd Learning, and get a $25 Amazon gift card for anyone who completes a class.
- DocuSign: Earn a $20 Amazon gift card per person that signs up for DocuSign, up to $600.
- CenturyLink: Earn a $75 Visa gift card per friend that signs up for CenturyLink.
- Vonage: Score a 50 e-gift card at 50 national retailers when your friend becomes a Vonage customer.
- Gymboree Visa Card: Get a $20 Gymboree gift card for each friend who is approved for a Gymboree Visa Card.
Tip: If you’re the one getting referred, you can also score a free gift card from Comcast, Sam’s Club, and many more. Anytime you’re looking for a new service, ask around to see if you can score a referral.
Dig out that old cell phone that’s been collecting dust, and trade it for a gift card.
These places trade electronics for gift cards:
- Target: The Target Trade-In Program offers gift cards when you trade in electronics such as a FitBit or Apple watch, electronic activity tracker, games, consoles, tablets, or phones.
- Walmart: Get a Walmart eGift card for cell phones, tablets, video games, and MP3 Players.
- Amazon: Trade Kindle e-Readers, tablets, game consoles, and cameras for Amazon gift cards.
- Staples: Get a Staples e-gift card for your unwanted tech gear. Eligible devices for in-store trade-in include laptops, tablets, e-Readers, and phones. Eligible devices for online trade-in include tablets, smartphones, iPods, and MP3 Players.
- GameStop: Trade unwanted games, consoles, and gaming accessories for a GameStop gift card.
- Abt.com: Camcorders, cameras, car audio systems, notebook computers, tablets, gaming systems, and cell phones can be swapped for an Abt.com gift card.
- Apple: Receive an Apple gift card for any iPad, iPhone, Mac desktop computer, iPod, Apple Watch, and more.
- Verizon Wireless: Receive a Verizon Wireless electronic gift card for giving up your old cell phone.
- Dell: Old phones, tablets, laptops, 2-in-1 PCs, gaming consoles, video games, and desktop computers to earn a Dell gift card.
3. Earn $20 gift cards when you cash out your Ibotta rebates.
If you haven’t started already, you need to use Ibotta to save money. Besides the option to get the cash back, you can also redeem your rewards for gift cards.
4. Earn free gift cards from Shopkick when you do your weekly grocery shopping.
5. Join the Gift Card Granny rewards program to earn free gift cards.
Earn points by creating an account, signing up for the newsletter, referring friends, sharing coupons, and more.
Keep an eye on Granny’s Secret Deals, which features daily deals offering bonus gift cards or something else equally cool. Today JCPenney is offering a free $10 bonus gift certificate when you purchase $75 in e-gift cards.
7. Clean out your closet, and score gift cards from places like thredUp.
Consignment shops (online or in-store) often offer store gift cards that have more value than the cash you would receive (of course, so you shop in their store).
Check it out:
- thredUP: Earn a Visa Prepaid Card by sending in on-trend women’s or kids’ clothing to thredUp.
- Material World: Trade in higher-end items such as Chanel, for a Material World gift card. It can be used at 700 online and in-store locations, including Nordstrom and Bloomingdales.
- Plato’s Closet: Plato’s Closet offers cash or store gift cards for gently used both girl and boy teen and young adult style clothing and accessories.
- Buffalo Exchange: Earn a Buffalo Exchange gift card for both men’s and women’s clothing and accessories.
8. Swap old books and CDs for Amazon gift cards through the Amazon Trade-In program.
9. Buy the promotional product at Target for a free gift card.
Target often offers a free gift card when you purchase something specific. This is just one of the easy ways to shop smarter at Target.
Other stores that do the same include BuyBuy Baby, Safeway, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Victoria’s Secret, and Sam’s Club.
Use the Krazy Coupon Lady app to help you find these free gift card deals.
10. Take surveys, watch videos, or just change your search engine settings for free gift cards.
- Swagbucks: Earn gift cards from Swagbucks by watching videos, shopping online, answering surveys, and searching the web.
- Bing: Earn credits as you search for anything online through Bing. Cash credits in for $5 gift cards to Starbucks, Toys R Us, Amazon, and more.
- CashCrate: Complete surveys and refer friends to CashCrate for gift cards or cash.
- MyPoints: Shop online through MyPoints, take surveys, watch videos, and read e-mails for gift cards.
- InstaGC: Watch videos, complete surveys, shop online, and search the web with InstaGC for gift cards.
- TopCashback: Earn an extra 3% bonus when you opt for Amazon gift cards as your payout for shopping through TopCashback and use coupons.
- iRazoo: Earn gift cards or cash with iRazoo by downloading apps, playing games, watching videos, taking surveys, and completing offers.
- i-Say: Take surveys for i-Say in exchange for gift cards.
11. Transfer your prescription from one pharmacy to another to get a store gift card.
Whenever you are getting a prescription filled at the pharmacy, check out whether or not nearby stores are offering a gift card with a prescription transfer.
Walgreens, Safeway, CVS, Rite Aid, Albertsons, Kroger, and Kmart all have been known to offer this promotion from time to time.
12. Buy gift cards from restaurants that offer bonus gift cards.
For every $50 in Olive Garden gift cards you buy, you’ll get a free $10 bonus card.
And that’s just one of 80 restaurants that offers free bonus gift certificates.
These offers are common especially around the holiday season.
13. Buy spa and store gift cards from retailers that offer a bonus gift card.
Just like with restaurants, you can find promotions for free bonus gift cards at spas and stores.
DSW, Victoria’s Secret, Barnes and Noble, The Children’s Place, Half Price Books, and Rue21 are all stores that have offered this type of bonus.
Shop through Ebates to earn cash back, and earn a Walmart gift card when you sign up.