We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
In case you didn’t know, popular stores like Madewell, Anthropologie, Free People, and Revolve all have a similar aesthetic to Urban Outfitters. So if you’re trying to find other quirky, laid-back stores like Urban Outfitters, we’ve done some digging and assembled a list of places with that familiar vibe.
But in order to figure out how their prices compare, I did a deep-dive into their shipping fees, return policies, loyalty perks, and their average prices for jeans.
With this guide, consider yourself ready to comparison-shop at stores like Urban Outfitters with the best of them.
If you love saving on fashion and home decor, be sure to download the Krazy Coupon Lady app to get sale alerts on all the top brands.
Your Cheat Sheet: How Stores Like Urban Outfitters Stack Up
- Lower free shipping minimum: Revolve and Madewell (no minimums)
- Similar first-purchase discount: Madewell
- Best birthday perks: It’s a tie between Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters
- Cheaper online returns: Revolve, Madewell, and Free People
- More lenient return policy: Anthropologie (store credit for late returns)
- Faster shipping turnaround time: Revolve
- Better discounts for students & teachers: Madewell
- Cheapest jeans: Urban Outfitters, Revolve, or Madewell
1. Revolve and Madewell both offer free shipping with no minimums, but Urban Outfitters makes you spend $75+.
When you shop on UrbanOutfitters.com, you have to spend at least $75 or more to get free shipping. For orders less than $75, you’ll pay at least a $6.95 shipping fee (the fee goes up to $24.95 for rush orders).
That $6.95 shipping fee is kind of annoying, especially when there are so many stores that offer free shipping with no minimums these days. That’s where stores like Madewell and Revolve come out on top for this category.
As long as you’re a member of Madewell’s free loyalty program, you’ll get free shipping (and free returns) with every order. And with Revolve, you get free shipping with no minimum purchase amount — ever.
Here’s a quick rundown of the shipping fees and policies:
- Revolve: Free shipping with no minimum.
- Madewell: Free shipping with no minimum (if you’re a Madewell Insider member).
- Anthropologie: Orders of $50+ get free shipping (below that the fee is $6.95 – $15.95); Anthroperks membership is required.
- Urban Outfitters: Orders of $75+ get free shipping (below that the fee is $6.95).
- Free People: Orders of $100+ get free shipping (below that the fee is $7.95).
2. Madewell gives the same welcome coupon as Urban Outfitters when you join their email list — 15% off.
Madewell and Urban Outfitters both offer a 15% welcome discount when you sign up to get their email newsletters. Look for a signup box at the bottom of their website or a pop-up window where you can enter your email address to join.
But Urban Outfitters sort of offers an added perk. If you take it a step further and sign up for the Urban Outfitters Rewards program, you can get another coupon good for 10% off your first purchase.
As for the other stores like Urban Outfitters — namely Free People and Anthropologie — the welcome discounts just aren’t there.
- Madewell: 15% off your first purchase when you sign up for emails.
- Urban Outfitters: 15% off your first purchase when you sign up for emails, plus 10% off if you sign up for their loyalty program.
- Revolve: 10% off your first purchase when you sign up for emails.
- Free People: No welcome discount.
- Anthropologie: No welcome discount.
TIP: Revolve advertises a 10% off coupon for signing up for their emails, but I actually received an emailed coupon good for 15% off my next purchase. That email got delivered about 24 hours after I joined, so keep an eye out for extra savings.
3. Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters both give you a 20% off coupon during your birthday month.
Out of the stores I compared, Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters take the cake for the best birthday perks. They both offer a 20% off coupon you can use during your entire birthday month, and all you need to do is join their respective loyalty programs.
Note: Even though the Urban Outfitters’ website calls their perk an “anniversary discount,” I chatted with an online rep and found out that it’s a 20% off code you get sent about a week before your birthday. You can use the code your entire birthday month.
Here’s how all the stores compare on their loyalty programs:
- Anthropologie: Get a one-time 20% off coupon during your birthday month as an Anthroperks member.
- Urban Outfitters: Get a one-time 20% off coupon during your birthday month as a loyalty member.
- Madewell: Get a birthday perk — typically $25 off any purchase of $26+ — to be used during your birthday month as an Insider.
- Revolve: No specific birthday perks for their loyalty program.
- Free People: No specific birthday perks or loyalty program.
4. Get free online returns for Free People, Revolve, and Madewell — Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie charge fees.
When you return something to Urban Outfitters by mail, they actually subtract a $5 restocking fee from your refund amount. Bummer, right? Of course, you can avoid the return fee by making a return to any physical Urban Outfitters store.
But you can avoid return fees entirely if you shop from one of Urban Outfitters’ competitors instead.
Check out which ones offer free returns:
- Revolve: Free online returns for every order.
- Free People: Free online returns for every order.
- Madewell: Free online returns if you’re a Madewell Insider.
- Anthropologie: $5.95 fee for mail-in returns; free returns in store.
- Urban Outfitters: $5 restocking fee for mail-in returns; free returns in store.
5. Expect a 30-day return window for all of these stores like Urban Outfitters.
All of the five stores that I compared offer a 30-day return window that begins on the day your item gets delivered to you. Refunds will go back on your original method of payment if you choose to return something within that window.
After that 30-day window, don’t expect stores to accept your return at all. But Anthropologie will offer you store credit after 30 days.
6. Revolve will get purchases to you the fastest — within 2 business days.
It makes sense that the one store on our list that’s online-only — Revolve — has the fastest shipping times. Revolve offers everyone free two-day shipping, but keep in mind that’s two business days. An order you place on Friday won’t ship until Monday.
The other stores on our list have longer shipping window (for standard shipping):
- Free People: 5 – 8 business days.
- Urban Outfitters: 5 – 8 business days.
- Anthropologie: 4 – 8 business days.
- Madewell: Up to 10 business days.
7. Save 15% on every Madewell purchase as a teacher or student.
Unfortunately, an Urban Outfitters student discount no longer exists.
But Madewell still offers teachers and students a 15% discount. You can use the discount online or in-store. Just show a valid ID in-store, or verify your status through your Madewell Insider membership.
Free People and Urban Outfitters don’t offer any type of student discount at all.
Related: Check out our full list of top student discounts.
8. Try joining UP to get 15% off every purchase from Free People, Urban Outfitters, and Anthropologie.
Did you know that Urban Outfitters actually owns Free People and Anthropologie, too? I didn’t either until I started my research.
Because of their brand relationship, they offer a fee-based membership program called UP that’s currently being tested in select areas.
Basically, UP is a paid membership program for people who love shopping at Free People, Urban Outfitters, and Anthropologie. Perks include getting 15% off every purchase you make at each of the three stores, a welcome gift card, $10 off a Nuuly subscription, plus free shipping and returns.
I tried entering my own ZIP code on the website, but my area of the country (Central Florida) isn’t currently eligible.
9. Shop the best deals on jeans from Urban Outfitters, Madewell, or Revolve.
All these stores I compared sell amazing denim, but the prices can land in the “splurge” category when you’re shopping brands like Mother at Anthropologie for well over $200.
Instead, I recommend starting your denim hunt at Urban Outfitters, where jeans typically range from $59 – $138.
Here is how the other stores compare on their denim prices:
- Madewell: Jeans are usually priced anywhere from $50 – $138.
- Revolve: Jeans are priced from $51 – $238, and you can’t try them on beforehand (because they’re online only).
- Free People: Jeans are priced from $78 – $198.
- Anthropologie: Clearance denim can be as low as $79 (look for clearance online or in-store).
TIP: In the spring, look for Madewell’s annual Trade-In event where you can trade-in an old pair of Madewell jeans to get $20 off a new pair.