Kibble me this: How do you get cheap dog food every time you shop?
Doggo’s gotta eat, and you don’t want to gobble up your budget. You’re about to learn the best ways to save money and get cheap dog food.
We’ll talk about the best places to shop, how to figure out if you’re getting a good deal, and get some brilliant pet food delivery tips and stock-up prices.
Note: The availability of dog food may vary regionally.
Top Pet Food Deals
1. Shop for dry, cheap dog food at Walmart & Target for as low as $0.15/cup.
When you’re on the hunt for cheap dog food, you have to calculate the price per cup. Here’s how you do that:
- Multiply the number of pounds by four (four cups of dry kibble equals 1 lb).
- Divide the dog food’s price by whatever number you found in Step 1.
For cheap dog food, we’re trying to pay less than $0.28/cup, and you have options that are cheaper, including:
- $0.15/cup: Kibbles ‘n Bits Original Dry Dog Food, 45 lbs at Walmart for $26.83
- $0.17/cup: Pedigree dog food, 44 lbs at Target for $29.99
- $0.25/cup: Beneful dog food, 40 lbs at Target for $40.99
Make that price per cup even lower when you use your Target RedCard; it makes the Pedigree cost just $0.16/cup and the Beneful just $0.24/cup.
2. Walmart & Costco have the best price per ounce for wet, cheap dog food.
With wet dog food, you calculate prices based on cost per ounce. Divide the price of your wet food by the number of ounces listed on the container.
You should never spend more than $0.11/oz, because when you shop regular-priced dog food at Walmart & Costco, you can do better:
- $0.11/oz: Pedigree Chopped Ground Dinner, 24-ct 13.2 oz cans from Walmart for $37.97
- $0.10/oz: Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain, 24-ct 13.2 oz cans from Costco for $32.99
- $0.07/oz: Ol’ Roy Cuts in Gravy Wet Dog Food, 22 oz cans for $1.72 each
See this week’s best deals on Purina dog food here.
3. Walmart actually has the best cheap dog food prices across major brands like Purina, Pedigree, and more.
In addition to having the absolute cheapest price on both wet and dry dog food, Walmart also has the cheapest regular prices on the most popular brands of dog food. Here’s how that breakdown looks:
The cheapest dry dog food prices:
Kibbles ‘n Bits Original Dry Dog Food, 45 lbs.:
Pedigree High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food Beef and Lamb Flavor Dog Kibble, 44 lbs.:
The cheapest wet dog food prices:
Pedigree Choice Cuts in Gravy Country Stew and Chicken & Rice Flavor, Wet Dog Food for Dogs of All Sizes, Variety Pack, (24) 13.2 oz. Cans:
Iams Proactive Health Adult Soft Wet Dog Food Paté with Chicken & Rice, (6) 13 oz. Cans:
Purina One Natural, High Protein Gravy Wet Dog Food Variety Pack, SmartBlend Tender Cuts in Gravy, 13 oz. Cans:
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Chicken Pate Wet Dog Food for Adult Dogs, Whole Grain 12.5 oz. can
See this week’s best Walmart deals here.
4. Save $12.75 on your first Amazon dog food order when you Subscribe & Save.
Each of these stores offers you the ability to automate repeat orders on a schedule that makes sense for you. But Amazon’s the best option, because Amazon’s Subscribe & Save service promises big savings on your first order.
Here’s how the discount would work on a product like Royal Canin dog food (reg. $84.99 at Amazon):
Buy 1 30-Pound Bag Royal Canin Health Nutrition Dry dog food reg. $84.99
Sign up for Amazon Subscribe & Save, save $12.75
Final Price: $72.24 ($0.60/cup)
Every subsequent Subscribe & Save order will have a 5% discount, but if you subscribe to five or more different items, Amazon boosts that discount to 10%.
By the way, we rounded up everything you need to know about the first-ever Amazon pet day sale.
5. The best cheap dog food sale is Chewy’s Black Friday sale.
But during Black Friday 2021 (as well as in 2020), Chewy store brands like American Journey were 40% off their regular price. And on top of that, Chewy took 50% off customers’ first subscription delivery order. Here’s how it looked for us:
Buy 1 15-lb Bag American Journey Sensitive Stomach Salmon and Rice Dry Dog Food (reg. $47.99), $28.79 sale price
Sign up for repeat delivery for 50% off your first order
Final Price: $14.40 (70% savings)
That brought the price per cup down to $0.15! We’ll be watching closely for it to happen again. In the meantime, check out our best Chewy savings tips.
6. Can dogs eat cat food?
Although dogs absolutely can eat cat food, it’s not something they should do every day, the AKC says. That’s because the higher-protein cat food can lead to digestive issues.
7. Here’s how to make homemade dog food treats with pumpkin and banana.
One of my favorite DIY dog tips is making my own dog food treats. It’s a piece of cake — or, rather, a piece of banana and pumpkin.
All you have to do is mix a can of pureed pumpkin with a banana in your food processor or blender. Then, spoon it into a dog-inspired ice cube tray and freeze.
I hope you found this post helpful. If you have any questions about saving money on cheap dog food, let me know in the comments below! Thanks for reading.