Did you know that if you’re a teacher you can save on your home internet and cell phone bill? It’s true. We did a deep dive into the ins and outs of the Verizon Teacher Discount — and these discounts look very similar to the ones extended to military members and first responders.
Don’t forget to download the KCL app to learn how to save even more on your everyday needs.
Teachers can get $25 off per month with Verizon Wireless.
The teacher discount you’re eligible for depends on how many lines you have on your plan. The discount amounts are:
- $10 per billing cycle on one line.
- $25 per billing cycle on 2 – 3 lines.
- $20 per billing cycle with 4 lines or more.
This discount is only available for three different plans: 5G Get More, 5G Play More, and 5G Do More. Here’s what each of those plans gives you.
5G Get More Plan
Want the most from Verizon? Then you’ll want to look at the 5G Get More plan. This plan comes with:
- Unlimited access to 5G or 4G LTE premium data — depending on cell tower congestion in your area at any given time.
- 50GB premium mobile hotspot data.
- Free access to Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Apple Arcade or Google Play Pass, Apple Music, 600GB on the Verizon Cloud, and up to 12 TravelPass days per year for free international calling.
Before the teacher discount, this plan costs:
- $90 per line with one line.
- $80 per line with 2 lines.
- $65 per line with 3 lines.
- $55 per line with 4 lines.
- $50 per line with 5 or more lines.
If you don’t opt into paperless billing, expect to pay $10 more per line. The same is true for the 5G Play More and Do More plans, too.
5G Play More Plan
5G Play More is focused on entertainment benefits. It doesn’t give you the same access to data as the 5G Get More plan, but it still might be enough for your family depending on your usage. This plan comes with:
- 50GB of 5G or 4G LTE premium data.
- 25GB premium mobile hotspot data.
- Complimentary access to Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+, Apple Arcade or Google Play Pass.
Before the teacher discount, this plan costs:
- $80 per line if you just have one line.
- $70 per line if you have 2 lines.
- $55 per line if you have 3 lines.
- $45 per line if you have 4 lines.
- $40 per line if you have 5 or more lines.
5G Do More Plan
The 5G Do More plan is exactly the same as the 5G Play More plan in terms of pricing and data access. But it comes with different freebies.
The 5G Do More plan gives up to 12 TravelPass days per year for free international calling and 600GB of storage in the Verizon Cloud. You won’t get access to platforms like Disney+ and Hulu.
Related: Best Freebies for Teachers
The Verizon Fios teacher discount is 20% – 23%.
Get your internet service through Verizon, too? They’ve got a decent teacher discount for educators who get both their internet and cell service with Verizon. Here are the rates:
- 1G plan: $49.99 per month (reg. $64.99 per month), 23% discount.
- 500 Mbps plan: $34.99 per month (reg. $44.99 per month,) 22% discount.
- 300 Mbps plan: $19.99 per month (reg. $24.99 per month,) 20% discount.
Certify your teaching status through ID.me.
To qualify for the Verizon teacher discount, you must be a current K-12 or post-secondary instructor. You’ll verify your eligibility using Verizon partner service – ID.me.
To certify your status, ID.me will give you two options:
- Give ID.me permission to look up your records: You provide your teacher number, state, and place of employment. They’ll take care of the rest.
- Upload your own documents: Like your employment contract or school ID.
Retired teachers and spouses don’t qualify.
Unfortunately, you must be currently employed to claim the teacher discount. Retirees don’t count — even if you’re collecting a state pension.
Spouses of teachers don’t qualify either. But you could get around this by putting the internet and cell phone bills in the teacher’s name. You live in the same house, so while you’re not eligible, having the bill in their name will still help you save.
Stack your teacher discount on top of your bundle discount.
Good news! Claiming the teacher discount doesn’t disqualify you from bundle discounts. With the 5G Play More, Do More, or Get More plans, you can get $25 off your home internet bill, which will already be marked down 20% – 23% with your teaching status.
Which carrier offers the best teacher discount?
Verizon and AT&T teacher discounts are available to educators regardless of where they work – as long as it’s in a K-12 or post-secondary setting.
The plans between the carriers cost about the same after the teacher discount. But AT&T plans don’t come with sweet freebies like ESPN+ subscriptions or cloud storage. If you can qualify for Verizon service, its discount may be the best value.