April is a big month for holidays and awareness days. First up is Easter, of course, with all the awesomeness of its after-holiday clearance sales. Next comes Earth Day, a day full of earth-friendly samples and giveaways to look forward to. World Health Day and National Pet Day (and for some of us, the tail end of Spring Break) also fall in April. And then there’s National Tax Day—an unexpected 24 hours of deals when retailers go the extra mile to try to ease our filing pain a bit with special freebies, discounts, and coupons.
This fabulous video series introduces both new and experienced couponers to the art of stockpiling savings based on what is on sale month by month. Get the most for the least—one video at a time!
- Watch this month's video: What's on Sale in April
Stockpile these items in April
The sales cycle categories are in bold and the items that follow are just intended as examples—use them as your guide as you coupon, save, and stockpile.
Holidays/Awareness Days Savings
- Easter (April 5): Find coupons and deals on ham, eggs, dyeing kits, stuffed animals, candy, chocolate, baskets, decorations, plus after-Easter sales rich with steals and deals on decorations, baskets & grass, egg dyeing kits, stickers and more!
- Free Cone Day (April 14: Ben & Jerry's). Who doesn't love free ice cream?! We sure do!
- National Tax Day (April 15: National Constitution Center). Nab savings on tax software, preparation services (pre-April 15); free "ease the pain" savings for taxpayers at nearly every store imaginable (on April 15).
- Earth Day (April 22: Earth Day Network). Find great deals, samples, and freebies for natural and organic foods and personal care products, reusable bags and water bottles, Energy Star appliances, CFL and LED lighting.
- Pet First Aid Awareness Month (Red Cross). Look for free first aid guides, kits, local free talks at vet clinics and pet stores, pet first aid samples.
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month (ASPCA). Get a FREE home safety pack from the ASPCA, look for reduced or waived adoption fees at local shelters.
All Month Long Savings
- Baking supplies: Save on sugar, spices, baking mixes, flour, chocolate chips, refrigerated cookie dough and other baking goodies.
- Spring: Grab great deals on gardening equipment and seeds, bird feeders, spring-cleaning supplies, allergy medicine.
- Seasonal Produce: Save on artichokes, asparagus, avocados, beans, beets, broccoli, cabbages, carrots, grapefruit, mushrooms, onions, peas, rhubarb, and strawberries.
- Summer travel: April is too early for the summer travel rush, but it is not too early for agents and tour companies to start stressing about it. Nab your tropical trip early and save!
- Ski and snow gear: Snow is melting everywhere, and retailers don't want to store what hasn't sold.
- Vacuum and steam cleaners: If you need a new model of either, April is a great time.
- Computers and gear: New models typically arrive in early summer, which means retailers are eager to clear the shelves (FYI: if you miss the deals in April, you will have another chance in September).
Look for these savings in May
Next month, you have plenty more sales cycle savings to look forward to! So while you will notice a bit of overlap in certain categories (seasonal produce, summer needs), for the most part, plan to wait until May to buy all of the following items so you can save the most!
- Cinco De Mayo: Salsa, shredded cheese, tortillas, tortilla chips, canned & refried beans, shredded lettuce, pinatas & pinata fillers, frozen Mexican entrees & snacks (e.g., taquitos, mini tacos, chimichangas).
- Mother's Day: Bouquets, gift sets, perfume, chocolate, photo frames and crafts, jewelry, candles.
- Memorial Day: BBQ sauce, ketchup, condiments, charcoal, salad dressing, potato chips, dips, paper plates, plastic utensils, sandwich fixings.
- Summer needs: Insect repellant, sunscreen, outdoor furniture, shorts, sun hats, beach toys, bird feeders, lawn mowers, barbecues and grilling utensils.
- Gardening: Plants, flowers, seeds, watering cans, plant food, soil, weed killers, mulch, compost buckets, watering hoses.
- Seasonal Produce: Artichokes, asparagus, avocado, beets, blackberries, carrots, corn, green beans, onions, peas in the pod, potatoes, raspberries, strawberries.