We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Many grocery stores have made couponing easier than ever by allowing you to “clip” digital coupons within their own apps. Some of these grocery store apps even let you order groceries for pickup and delivery right from the app and stack coupons with your order. Digital coupons, just like paper coupons, also have expiration dates.
Most apps contain both store and manufacturer coupons you can also find in paper circulars, as well as exclusive online-only digital coupons also duplicated on the store’s official website. Here are the grocery store apps with coupon deals you should consider before your next order.
(Psst…Don’t forget to download the official KCL app for more useful tips!)
1. How do grocery store apps work for digital coupons?
For the most part, most grocery store apps’ digital coupons work like this:
- Download the store’s official grocery app.
- Enter your account information or create a new account.
- “Clip” (meaning tap on) the coupons for items you want; the coupons will apply automatically at checkout.
Here’s the bad news: While the best of these grocery stores let you clip coupons and shop within a single app, others have two separate apps: one for couponing and one for shopping. That gets confusing.
But the good news: The coupon-only apps keep track of your digital coupons through your store account. So, when you go to shop through the shopping app (and are signed in to your account) there they are.
But the bad news: Not always. The bummer is when you have to flip back and forth.
But wait, more good news: The two-app stores often offer more store-exclusive deals and coupons in their coupon apps than the one-app-for-everything stores. (It’s kinda like they need to justify their existence.)
2. Use the Kroger app for digital coupons and everything else.
The Kroger app does all the things — coupons, shopping, you name it. Use it to load Kroger digital coupons (both store and manufacturer) onto your Shopper’s Card, which you must create within the app.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: Make sure to accept push notifications to keep up on Freebie Fridays, where the store posts a digital coupon in the app for a free item on the first Friday of each month and other deals.
Special features: You can create a shopping list; shop for grocery pickup, delivery, or even have your items shipped to you from the app; link your bank card and pay with the app in store; and scan items while in store to see if any coupons are available.
Here are some store-specific savings I found through the Kroger app:
- Save $15 on Oral-B 5000 or 6000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
- Save $10 on Crest Whitestrips
- Save $8 when you buy two packages of Refresh Eye Drops
3. Use Dollar General digital coupons at checkout.
The Dollar General app is not a shopping app. If you try to shop in the app, it will redirect you to the website, DG.com. The couponing aspect of this app is a bit of a disconnect. You add digital coupons in the app to your account but have to enter your phone number at checkout in store to use them, rather than just scanning the app. But the coupons are pretty good, which I’ll show you.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: In the app, check the Coupons tab for one-day exclusive coupons from Dollar General that are available both in-app and online. Dollar General app coupons are available in limited quantities and can only be used once.
Special features: You can create a shopping list in the app and use the Cart Calculator to scan items in your cart to see what you’re going to pay during checkout. Those are okay features, but the coolest feature, in my opinion, is DGGO! Pay, which lets you skip the checkout line completely. You scan your cart with the Cart Calculator, tap “proceed to checkout,” and get a QR code, which you scan at a checkout station (rather than a checkout line) to pay. Then, wave like a prom queen in a parade at the line behind you.
But before you get excited, I only found three stores in Texas, five in Arizona, and one in New Mexico that you can do this with, so the availability is definitely select. Check a DG near you and filter the results with DGGO!
Here are some Dollar General store coupon savings I found through the app:
- $5 off with a purchase of $25 or more at Dollar General
- Save $2 when you purchase $10 of M&M’s products
- Save $4 on a BIC Soleil Disposable Razor Pack
4. Link the CVS app to your ExtraCare Rewards card.
CVS lets you stack store coupons with manufacturer coupons and Catalina coupons, on top of sales. If you link your ExtraCare Rewards account to your CVS app, you can add coupons directly to your account and earn 2% back on every purchase online and in store.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: There’s a good amount of manufacturer and ExtraCare Coupons on the CVS app, all of which you can apply to your account before checkout.
Special features: You can add CVS products to your shopping cart, check out, and pay directly through the app. Remember that you get free shipping on CVS orders if your total is $35 or more after discounts and coupons.
Here are some CVS store savings I found through the app:
- Buy 1 get 1 50% off all Febreze or Cascade items
- BOGO Free on Nature Made vitamins
- 10 5.5 ounce Friskies cat food for $6
5. The Family Dollar app lets you play a slot machine for exclusive coupons.
The Family Dollar app allows you to clip a variety of manufacturer coupons, as well as check out the Weekly Ad if you type in your zip code. Just scan your barcode at checkout to apply your coupons.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: When you open the app, you’ll see a list of coupons listed as “Exclusive.”
Special features: You can play a “SmartSpins” slot machine for a personalized exclusive Smart Coupon. When in the store, you can use the app to see if an item you want qualifies for a coupon you want to use. Tap the coupon you want to use, tap “Does This Item Qualify?” and use your phone to scan the item.
Here are some coupons I found through the app:
- Save $5 on certain Colgate brands when you purchase three
- $4 off when you purchase Children’s Zyrtec
- $2.50 off on Biotene oral rinse
6. Stack percent-off Circle offers with manufacturer coupons in the Target app.
The Target app lets you take advantage of specific Target Circle offers. (You can also see the Target Circle offers on Circle.Target.com.) Target Circle will get you 1% off every purchase, or, if you link the Target app to your RedCard, 5% cash back instead. The app also lets you stack Circle offers with manufacturer coupons, as long as the wording says so. Target Circle offers can be used over and over until they expire, although there are daily limits and transaction limits.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: The “Target Circle offers” section of the app shows the Weekly Ad deal and different categories of Circle offers.
Special features: Through the app, you can use your smartphone camera in store to scan barcodes on products to check for deals and coupons.
Here are some Circle offers I found through the app:
- Free $10 Target gift card with $35 purchase of household essentials
- Up to 25% off furniture (online only)
- 50% off Stranger Things seasons 1 – 2
7. Clip digital coupons through the Walgreens app.
The Walgreens app is very straightforward, allowing you to clip their manufacturer coupons and exclusive points and rewards deals and add them to your account for checkout. You can stack rewards points, store offers, and manufacturer coupons.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: In addition to the in-app coupons, Walgreens gives mobile-only photo deals, like 30% off your next photo order if you use the app.
Special features: The app lets you take pictures of barcodes in store to check for any current coupons.
Here are store coupons I found through the app:
- Save $2 on two Head & Shoulders Royal Oils products
- $4 off one Gillette or Venus razor
- $5 off a Crest 3D Whitestrips Kit
8. Safeway and Albertsons offer Just for U coupons.
Both Safeway and Albertsons use the Just for U program for coupons. Just for U store coupons are a mixture of exclusive store coupons that can only be used at Albertsons and Safeway and manufacturer coupons. The only downside to the app is that you need to download a separate store app for both stores to shop for delivery or pickup orders (Albertsons Delivery & Pick Up or Safeway Delivery & Pick Up). The Delivery & Pick Up app does not allow you to stack coupons, so pick the highest value coupon and go with that.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: You can find Just for U coupons in the app personalized by your order history. Since you need a separate app for delivery and pickup, just make sure you’re signed in to your account on both apps.
Special features: Like many others on this list, the Safeway and Albertsons apps let you check the Weekly Ad. But you can also check on your Rewards balance, Rewards expiring soon, and everything you can use Rewards on.
Here are some store coupons I found through the app:
- $1 off any O Organics product
- $2 off on Smartwater, 12 pack
- Buy 2 get 1 free avocados
9. Use the app to add Giant Eagle eCoupons to your account.
The Giant Eagle app keeps things pretty simple when it comes to digital coupons. Just like with Albertsons and Safeway, you need to download the separate Giant Eagle Grocery app for the online shopping itself. You also cannot stack coupons at Giant Eagle.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: The Giant Eagle app allows you to clip eCoupons (a mixture of store and manufacturer coupons ) as long as your loyalty card is linked to the app.
Special features: The app lets you assemble your own shopping list for your next trip.
Here are some eCoupons I found through the app:
- Save $3 on Tide Laundry Detergent, 92 ounces or larger
- Save $3 on a box of Pampers
- $4 off on Allegra Allergy, 24 count or larger
10. Load Meijer coupons to your mPerks account.
Download the Meijer app before your next shopping trip to get the most out of your experience.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: Meijer’s app lets you add both store and manufacturer coupons to your official account, also known as an mPerks account.
Special features: In addition to clipping coupons for your account, you can check out the store’s Weekly Ad from the app.
Here are some specific coupons I found through the app:
- $10 off your total purchase
- $2 off Garnier Nutrisse or Color Reviver
- Save $2 on one Gillette Refill Cartridge, 8-count or larger
11. Clip Publix digital coupons right in the app.
The Publix app has you make an account if you don’t already have one, so you can load any available Publix digital coupons onto your account. Yep, another one of those. While most app coupons can only be used once, if there is a number such as “X8” on the coupon, it can be used up to eight times. One piece of bad news: You can’t use digital coupons for delivery and pickup orders. Plus, you need the separate Publix Delivery & Curbside app to order, so you can’t get your groceries right from the app.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: Along with digital coupons, you’ll sometimes see a digital offer as soon as you open the app. I just got $5 off my order of $30 for redeeming one of those offers.
Special features: You can pay directly through the app when you attach a credit or debit card. They even have a $5 off special right now for first-time users that set up their debit card (minimum $25 total).
Here are some exclusive store coupons I found through the app:
- Save $2.50 on any Handi-Foil item
- Save $5 on an Oral-B Vitality or Pro 500 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
- Save $3 on any Bare Republic Sun product
12. Use the Vons app for Just For U coupons and Weekly Ads.
Just like Albertsons and Safeway, Vons digital coupons are part of the Just For U program. And, as you’d imagine, the apps work identically. The Vons Deals & Rewards app allows you to view the Weekly Ad for current specials and sales. So clip those coupons to your account in that app. Then, download the Vons Delivery & Pick Up app and sign in to use your coupons for grocery delivery or curbside pickup.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: Just like Albertsons and Safeway, you’ll get personalized Just For U digital coupons to clip.
Special features: The Vons app lets you make a shopping list and view your current Rewards points.
Here are some store coupons I found through the app:
- $1 off any produce department product
- $2 off Signature Cafe rotisserie chicken
- $4 off on Allegra Allergy, 24-count or larger
- $4 off on a Schick Women’s Razor or refill
13. The Shop United app keeps digital coupons simple.
The United grocery app lets you add manufacturer and store coupons and offers to your account and check out the Weekly Ad. While you can’t shop directly through that app, you can go straight to the United grocery website by tapping the “Shop Online” tab, where your coupons will get applied to your order if you’re all signed in. The good news is, Shop United lets you stack store and manufacturer coupons.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: Before you clip coupons, check on the Weekly Specials in the app for BOGO deals and much more.
Special features: Check on your Rewards points and Rewards freebies directly in the app.
Here are some exclusive coupons I found through the app:
- Save $3 on any AVEENO suncare product
- $1 off a Signature Farms avocados 7-count bag
- Save $2 on one bag of Pull-Ups training pants, 27-count or lower
- $2 off one 8-count box of Starbucks Fresh Brew coffee
14. You have to pay to use BJ’s in-app coupons.
In order to use BJ’s online coupons, you have to join the Members club (just like Costco). You have to pay for your club membership in order to access coupons in the app. BJ’s membership has three tiers:
- Online Access lets you take advantage of exclusive mobile coupons and exclusive online shopping for $10 a year.
- Inner Circle gives you exclusive coupons, a discount for add-on members, and complimentary membership for a household member for $55 a year.
- Perks Rewards brings the same benefits as Inner Circle, with an additional 2% cash back on most purchases, travel benefits, and double or triple cash back during special events.
BJ’s doesn’t let you stack coupon offers in the app.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: No matter what tier of BJ’s membership, you’ll get access to exclusive coupons.
Special features: Even if you’re at home or another store, you can scan an item’s barcode to see how much it costs at BJ’s.
Here are some Club coupons I found through the app:
- $3 off Meow Mix
- $3 off Tide liquid or powder detergent
- $4 off Aveeno body wash or lotion
15. The County Market app lets you make your own shopping list.
The County Market app lets you choose from hundreds of store and manufacturer coupons and add them to your County Market loyalty account, a.k.a. “Max Card.” The app also has a great Weekly Ad tab, which lets you click things you like in the ad and add them to your shopping list. But you can’t use the shopping list for online shopping — only as an extra tool for in store.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: You can clip digital coupons and take a look at County Market specials for items at a reduced price.
Special features: The County Market app lets you check out tons of exclusive recipes for cocktails, snacks, entrees, and desserts.
Here are some store coupons I found through the app:
- Save $8 on Claritin tabs or Liquid-Gels, 60-count or larger
- Save $5 on any two PediaSure packs, 6-count and larger
- Save $2 on two Head & Shoulders products
16. Get savings and recipes with the Stop & Shop app.
The Stop & Shop app keeps things simple, letting you quickly add store and manufacturer coupons onto your account by tapping “Load to Card.” Unfortunately, you can’t stack any manufacturer coupons with a paper coupon at the store. The app includes dedicated tabs for the Weekly Ad promotions and recipes.
Special digital coupons or promos in the app: You can add the products from any Stop & Shop digital store and manufacturer coupons you clip onto a shopping list.
Special features: Take a look at your Stop & Shop purchases from the past, whether it’s three months back or over a year. You can also skip the deli line by ordering ahead on the app.
Here are some store coupons I found through the app:
- Save $2 on Metamucil fiber
- Save $2 on Colgate Optic White
- Save $3 on Schick Disposables
Don’t Scroll Up! These Are the Articles Mentioned: