May is the last full month of spring, but it’s packed so full of holidays and awareness days you might think summer has already arrived!
Holidays are always fun, but holiday sales and savings are even more fun. Read on for all the different items that will be at their lowest annual prices this month, and be sure to bookmark KCL's coupons and deals pages so you won't miss a single one!
This fabulous video series introduces both new and experienced couponers to the art of stockpiling savings based on what’s on sale month by month. Get the most for the least—one video at a time!
- Watch this month's video: What's on Sale in May
Stockpile these items in May
The sales cycle categories are in bold, and the items that follow are just intended as examples—use them as your guide as you coupon, save, and stockpile.
Holidays/Awareness Day Savings:
- National Stamp Out Hunger Day (May 10th): Stamp Out Hunger has huge corporate sponsorship support, so look for canned goods savings and food drive freebies everywhere.
- National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day (May 15th): Cookie ingredients and cookie freebies!
- Cinco De Mayo (May 5th): Save big bucks on all the fixings—salsa, shredded cheese, tortillas, tortilla chips, canned and refried beans, shredded lettuce, piñatas and piñata fillers, frozen Mexican entrees, and snacks (taquitos, mini tacos, and chimichangas).
- Mother's Day (May 10th): Bouquets, gift sets, perfume, chocolate, photo frames, crafts, jewelry, and candles.
- Armed Forces Day (May 16th): For military, spouses, veterans, and families—expect freebies, discounts, and pampering through local businesses.
- Memorial Day (May 25th): BBQ sauce, ketchup, condiments, charcoal, salad dressing, potato chips, dips, paper plates, plastic utensils, and sandwich fixings.
Awareness Week Savings:
- National Pet Week (May 3-9): Pet food, pet toys, pet products and supplies, pet health screenings, and pet grooming discounts.
Awareness Month Savings:
- National Physical Fitness & Sports Month: Promotions and trial memberships for gyms/fitness centers, health foods and products, sports equipment and attire.
- Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection & Prevention Month: Sunscreen, various skin care products, and free skin health screenings.
- Food Allergy Awareness Month: Special diet products, new gluten-free and allergy-sensitive products, discounted testing and screening for food allergies.
All Month Long Savings:
- Spring clothing: Summer is nearly here, and that means racks and shelves need to empty out for summer's skimpy fashions! So now is the time to nab great deals of 50% off or more on spring fashions (especially during the Memorial Day weekend sales!).
- Summer needs: Now is the time to nab great deals on insect repellant, sunscreen, outdoor furniture, shorts, sun hats, flip-flops, beach toys, bird feeders, lawn mowers, barbecues, and grilling utensils.
- Gardening: May flowers are blooming, along with savings on plants, flowers, seeds, watering cans, plant food, soil, weed killers, mulch, compost buckets, water hoses, and other essential gardening supplies.
- Seasonal produce: Yum! Save on fresh artichokes, asparagus, avocado, beets, blackberries, carrots, corn, green beans, onions, peas, potatoes, raspberries, and sweet strawberries.
- A new mattress: It has become a tradition in the bedding industry to put mattress/box spring singles and sets on sale near Memorial Day.
- A new refrigerator or freezer: If your refrigerator or freezer is on the fritz, buy a new unit now before the pricier new models arrive next month!
- Patio gear: Table and chairs, umbrellas, and other backyard gear are traditionally priced to sell before the Memorial Day holiday arrives (if you miss it, try again in September after Labor Day departs).
- A new vacuum cleaner: New models debut in June, so guess what retailers are doing this month? Clearing floor space!
- Spa services: With Mother's Day arriving and summer shortly thereafter, prepare to scoop up great deals on spa services.
- Thrift/Goodwill/Salvation Army items: The end of May marks the end of Spring, and the end of "spring cleaning." So there will be plenty of activity at your local thrift stores and Goodwills this month—and more inventory to move often means more heavily discounted inventory!
- Graduation items: ‘Tis the season for graduates (and graduation gifts). Competing retailers may offer deals on cookware and kitchen accessories, electronics (think televisions and digital cameras, NOT cell phones and gaming gear), new household accessories, and workspace gear.
- Mobile accessories: May may not be the best time to shop for cell phones, but accessories will be on sale—e-readers, headphones, cases, cords and cables, speakers, and more.