What is Black Friday in July? Well, I’m glad you asked! Basically, it’s a way for stores to compete with Amazon Prime Day by getting in on the mega sale action.
Amazon Prime Day typically happens during the second week in July. This year it’ll begin at 12:00 a.m. PT on Monday, July 15th and end 11:59 p.m. PT on Tuesday, July 16th. We expect to see competing sales from many — if not most — major retailers on or around that same time.
Here’s what to watch out for and what to skip!
1. Plan to save 15% on Apple products from Best Buy during Black Friday in July.
Best Buy traditionally runs similar Apple sales during July and November. In 2018 we saw a 15% discount on the Apple 21.5″ iMac Intel Core i5 (3.0GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive, bringing it down to just $1,099.00, and a 15% discount on the Apple Watch Series 3 GPS 38mm, making it just $279.00.
2. Buy small appliances at Macy’s during Black Friday in July and save up to 78%.
In 2018 we saw a Bella 6-Quart Electric Pressure Cooker for $49.99, regularly $119.00! That’s a 57% savings!
You will most likely have to use some mail-in rebates to get the best deals at Macy’s, but we think this kind of savings is worth it.
We also saw a Black + Decker Handheld Vacuum on sale for just $10.00 in 2018, regularly $45.00! You had to mail in a $10.00 rebate to get the full deal, but that’s a 78% savings!
We’ll also let you know if Macy’s is offering any coupons that you can stack with their Black Friday in July sales!
3. Use Paribus to get money back on online orders.
Sign up for Paribus — it’s one of the smartest ways to save on your online orders. No, really.
Paribus will check for any digital receipts sent to your email and notify you of any price drops after you’ve made a purchase. If it spots a cheaper price, Paribus will let you know so you can request a price adjustment.
Paribus compensates us when you sign up for Paribus using the links we provided.
4. Save up to 75% when you make your house a smart home with Best Buy.
Keep in mind that Amazon will likely be running just as good — if not better — deals on their Alexa devices. But if Google Home is your thing then these deals are just as good as Black Friday and Cyber Monday in November.
In 2018 we saw Best Buy price their Insignia Voice Smart Bluetooth Speaker and Alarm Clock with Google Assistant to just $24.99, a 75% saving from the normal price of $99.99!
Best Buy also had a Westinghouse 32″ Class LED 720p smart HDTV for just $99.00, down from $149.00. That’s a 34% savings!
5. Shop for jeans at Old Navy and save up to 85%.
Old Navy famously drops their jeans to as low as $8.00 in July — one of my favorite denim sales! It’ll likely happen during Prime Day, so plan accordingly.
If you’re thinking of stocking up for back-to-school (you should!) then you should also check out 26 Back-to-School Shopping Hacks That’ll Save You All the Money.
6. Watch for freebies with purchase from Lowe’s.
Last year we saw Lowe’s offer a completely free Google Home mini when you spent $150.00 in qualifying merchandise. That’s a $49.00 freebie!
The catch was that it was for one day only. Don’t get roped into spending $150.00 you weren’t planning on just for the freebie! But if you’ve been eyeballing that Dyson V6 Hepa Cordless Vacuum, then this might be a good time to grab it.
7. Use Krazy Coupon Lady deal alerts so you know when your favorite products go on sale.
- Download the Krazy Coupon Lady app.
- Click on the three bar menu in the top left corner.
- Click on “notifications.”
- Click the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Toggle on “push notifications.”
- Then toggle on any and all deals you want to watch out for during Black Friday in July!
- You can turn them off by toggling the other way.
8. Get ready for Kohl’s to allow multiple coupon codes online for Black Friday in July — it could save you up to 70%.
Kohl’s likes to snatch our attention away from Amazon Prime Day with some killer offers of their own — and it works.
You can actually stack up to four codes online at Kohl’s.
For example, you can stack one sitewide dollar-off code, one departmental dollar-off code and one percent-off code. AND you can use Kohl’s Cash on top of it all!
But the strategy at Kohl’s during Black Friday in July is to buy from whatever department Kohl’s offers a code for. In 2018 it was Home.
One example of a deal using all three of these codes brought the price of an Instant Pot Duo down to $48.99 (compared to Amazon’s price: $79.95).
9. Don’t pay for shipping during any Black Friday in July sales — retailers like Macy’s and Gap often give free shipping codes.
Seriously. Every site from Reebok to Wayfair will likely be offering free shipping codes or dropping their minimum price point to get free shipping. This is how they compete with the convenience of Amazon’s one- and two-day shipping.
In 2018 we saw many retailers offer free shipping during Black Friday in July. Most were for one day only, with a specific purchase, or for spending less than you would normally have to to get free shipping. Here are some examples:
10. Shop for your furry friend and save up to 75% at Petco.
In 2018 we saw Star Wars pet toys dip down to 75% off, and we saw 50% off cat scratchers and furniture.
This is similar savings to what you’ll find during Black Friday and Cyber Monday in November, so if you need to stock up on pet supplies, then now’s your chance!
11. Expect Amazon to have the best prices on headphones — we saved 32% on Beats.
Chances are Amazon will still be the best place to purchase your noise-canceling headphones. Last year we saw Powerbeats3 drop from $199.00 to $134.00, a 32% savings. They stayed at the $199.00 mark at places like Target and Walmart.
12. You’ll get better clothing deals during Black Friday in July than you will for Amazon Prime Day!
During Prime Day 2018, Amazon offered 50% off of its in-house clothing line, a deal we expect to see repeated in 2019.
But with all of the coupons offered by Kohl’s, Macy’s and others, which you can stack with sales, you’ll likely get much better deals by hitting up major retailers.
Bonus! Many retailers are also beginning their summer clearance sales and ramping up for back-to-school, so don’t make Amazon your go-to for clothes during this time.
13. Don’t buy an air fryer just for the Black Friday in July deal — we see just as good, if not better, prices during Black Friday in November.
In November 2018 we watched air fryers go on sale like crazy! Everyone was getting in on the healthy frying action. We expect to see deals during Black Friday in July, but they likely won’t be better than those in November.
14. You’ll get more Kohl’s Cash during Black Friday in November than you will in July.
Kohl’s will also be offering more Kohl’s Cash in November — typically $15.00 for spending $50.00 as opposed to their normal $10.00 back for spending $50.00.
15. Expect Walmart to compete a little more quietly than other retailers.
Walmart will be gearing up for back-to-school, which is where you will find most of their deals during this time. They likely won’t run huge, glittery sales but will offer some discounts that will make it worth keeping your eyes peeled.
For instance, Walmart quietly rolled back the Instant Pot LUX60 Instant Pot to $49.00 (down from $79.00) to match Amazon’s sale exactly.
Oh, hey! Here are all the links we mentioned to help you save!
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: The Best Deals & What to Expect
- Macy’s Coupons and Deals
- 26 Back-to-School Shopping Hacks That’ll Save You All the Money
- RELATED: 31 Lowe’s Discount Tips That Would Make Joanna Gaines Proud
- Download the Krazy Coupon Lady app
- Fitbit Deals and Coupons
- Kohl’s Coupons and Deals