Soccer, golf, baseball. ‘Tis the season!
Before you drop hundreds on sports expenses, check out my strategy for saving at least 50% at DICK’S Sporting Goods:
1. Join DICK’S email list to get 10% off your next purchase plus exclusive coupons.
Sign up to receive Dick’s emails and get a promo for 10% off your next purchase.
They’ll send sale alerts to your inbox, as well as exclusive coupons like 20% off any single item or $20 off your $100 order (exclusions apply).
2. Earn bonus ScoreCard points when you download and use the DICK’S app.
- 50 bonus ScoreCard points for logging in to the app (300 points = $10 off)
- 100 bonus ScoreCard points for connecting your FitBit
- 600 points for completing Move challenges ($20 off)
- Plus, you’ll never miss a sale. The DICK’S app keeps all sales and offers visible in the Offers tab and the Weekly Ad tab. The Weekly Ad tab also features any longer-term sales like “Run Train” which featured free shipping on footwear and apparel for almost a full month!
3. Buy a discounted gift card for Field & Stream at 17% off, then use it at DICK’s.
Last time I checked Raise.com, both Dick’s and Golf Galaxy discounted gift cards were 15% off, but Field & Stream was almost 17% off!
4. Spend $49 or more online to get free shipping, then return what you don’t want to the store for free.
Bring items into a DICK’S store for a free return within 60 days. But keep in mind that certain items like firearms and ammunition may not be returned.
5. Pick up your online purchase within 2 hours to avoid shipping fees.
See an online exclusive? Purchase it online and pick it up at the store within 2 hours (pending inventory).
You’ll avoid shipping and you won’t be charged for your order until you pick it up.
6. Skip DICK’S on social media if you’re not into Pro Tips or contests.
If you’re looking for coupons, join the mailing list (see #1). If you’re looking for contests and Pro Tips like how to get the right baseball glove for your kid, start following DICK’S on social media.
7. DICK’S online clearance is better than in-store clearance.
Definitely shop clearance online — there’s a bigger and more organized selection than anything you’ll find in-store.
But you can still pick up certain items in-store to save on shipping if your local store has it!
8. Get all the freebies when you buy equipment at DICK’S.
Just bring proof of purchase with you when requesting these freebies:
- Free bike assembly
- Free golf iron fittings or $50 off a full golf set fitting
- Free baseball glove services with purchase of any Mizuno or Pro Series glove
- Free archery equipment set-up, installations, and adjustments
- Free scope mounting and boresighting for your firearm
- Free fishing line winding
- Free CO2 filling for paintball cartridges (1st fill is free, and every 5th fill after that)
- Free racket re-stringing (1st re-string is free, and every 5th after that)
- Free hockey or figure skate sharpening and fitting (1st is free, and every 5th following)
- Free running analysis and custom shoe recommendation
- Free custom drilled bowling ball holes
9. Get 50% off services to re-string your lacrosse stick.
Just purchase the mesh string beforehand at any DICK’S or online. Bring your proof of purchase with you.
10. DICK’S will price match competitor prices but won’t accept their coupons.
Show your cashier a local competitor’s advertised price on an identical brand and model number to receive their Best Price Promise price match.
Competitors include any authorized retailer — like Sportsman’s Warehouse and Amazon.
This excludes rebates; bonus offers (including BOGO); coupons; free offers; gift card offers; clearance, closeout, out-of-stock, and used items.
11. Full priced items end in $0.00 or $0.99. Always use coupons if you must buy these!
12. Clearance items have a price tag ending in $0.93 or $0.97.
Use the “$20 off your $100 order” promo (usually emailed to you) for these items.
13. Shop on Sunday.
Generally, sales start on Sunday, and since rain checks are out of the question, you’ll want to get the deals while inventory is high.
14. Sign up for the ScoreCard rewards program to receive 1 point per $1 spent.
300 points = $10 off. After signing up, you’ll start receiving exclusive email coupons like 20% off a regular-priced item (exclusions apply).
15. Use coupons and points at DICK’S, Golf Galaxy, or Field & Stream.
Earn and redeem points at DICK’S Sporting Goods, Golf Galaxy and Field & Stream.
The coupons you receive as part of the ScoreCard program can also be used at any of these retailers too. However, they cannot be used on clearance items.
16. Aim for at least 50% savings.
Surprisingly, DICK’S sales tend to be better than clearance prices. They’ll often have up to 50% markdowns during equipment and apparel sales, but clearance items typically range from 20-30% off.
17. Bring in your receipt for items that have gone on sale within 30 days to get a price adjustment.
If something you bought goes on sale within 30 days, take your receipt back in to collect the difference.
18. Get online prices while shopping in-store.
Double-check DICK’S website while shopping. If you spot something that is cheaper online (including clearance!) just ask an employee to price match their website for you.
19. Employees get a 10-25% discount at DICK’S Sporting Goods, Golf Galaxy, Field & Stream, True Runner, and Chelsea Collective stores.
Get 25% off all full-priced footwear, apparel, and hardline merchandise.
Certain hardline items like treadmills, boats, and golf balls can only be discounted 10%. Employee discounts can’t be applied to Sony electronics, firearms, ammunition, fuel, tennis balls, gift cards and other items.
Associates can also enjoy health benefits, 401K, tuition reimbursement (salaried associates only), and adoption assistance.
20. Save up to 50% on golf equipment and apparel during the spring Golf-A-Thon.
The annual Golf-A-Thon, which ends mid-April, is the year’s biggest golf sale.
Buy 3 boxes of Titleist personalized golf balls and get 1 free (up to $55 savings), get 50% off a complete set of Top Flite men’s or women’s clubs, and BOGO apparel.
21. Get funding for your youth sports team.
The DICK’S Sporting Goods’ Sponsorship & Donations program is set up to help all youth teams get the funding they need.
You can get started on having your own youth sports team funded by answering a few questions on the app.
22. For an extra 20% off, google “DICK’S promo code” before paying.
If you don’t already have a coupon or promo code, popular sites like RetailMeNot.com typically offer rebates or promo code deals such as 20% off a single item, or $20 off a $100 purchase.
23. Skip the DICK’S credit card.
While you’ll get 2 ScoreCard points (instead of 1 point) per $1 spent at DICK’S, Golf Galaxy, or Field & Stream with the DICK’S credit card and 1 point for every $3 spent on out-of-store purchases, there aren’t any other real perks.
I recommend going for a cash or travel rewards credit card instead.
24. Shop clearance sales after Christmas.
DICK’S has major clearance sales right after Christmas, especially on giftable items like sports equipment and apparel.
Also check by the register for steep discounts on holiday items. I scored 3 rolls of sturdy Christmas wrapping paper for $2.99 (regularly $12.99).
25. Shop through Ebates to receive up to 1.5% cash back on your DICK’s online purchase.
Once you sign up, just go to the EBATES site first, search for DICK’S, and click into DICK’S website from there. You can easily claim 1.5% cash back on your purchases.
RELATED: How I Earned 143.23 This Month Using Cash Back Sites
26. Use ’em or lose ’em by January 31.
No matter how many ScoreCard points you earn, they’ll expire on the Saturday closest to January 31st every year.
And no, you cannot use expired points no matter how nicely you ask!
27. Shop for biking gear in July and aim for 50% off.
Bikes, biking gear and apparel typically hit up to 50% off in July. Try the 4th of July weekend sale to get the biggest discounts.
28. Get The North Face and Columbia winter gear in March for 40-50% off.
Have your eye on a subzero North Face jacket?
Buy it in March for the following season to save half the cost. Keep a lookout in your email for a $50 bonus with a North Face purchase during this sale too!
29. Opt for kids’ sports bundles to save around $10.
When my son was starting soccer for the first time, I purchased a youth soccer bundle which included soccer cleats, shin guards, and a ball for only $35 (a $10 savings).
30. Mail-in rebates are flagged with a red sign on end-caps.
Check out this PowerBait mail-in rebate: If you buy 4 for $14.99, you get $10 back!
They’re only $4.99 to begin with, so this is like getting 3 for free.
31. Save $20 by checking the bottom of your receipt.
Your receipt may include a “$20 off your $100 purchase” coupon at the very bottom.
Just be sure to check the date for when you can use it, because it won’t be right away!