I love shopping at REI but hate paying full price for anything. So I found out there are actually legit ways to save up to 90% at REI.
These are my five favorite tips:
1. Shop the REI Garage Sale for up to 90% off.
Three to four times a year you can save 20-90% on lightly used and returned REI gear at the REI Garage Sale. You can shop previous season’s returns, and sometimes you’ll find brand new items (with tags still on them) because there was a small dent, stain or missing piece. You can even negotiate prices just like at a real garage sale.
Ask your local store manager if they allow shoppers to camp out the night before for first dibs in line.
It also helps if you know how to decode tags at the Garage Sale:
- Green tags: Practically new items.
- Blue tags: Used or returned items.
- Yellow tags: Worn, used, or slightly damaged items.
- Red tags: Items are broken. So unless you can fix it, skip it!
2. Get 10% cash back as an REI member.
For $20, you can become a lifetime member at REI. And since members earn 10% cash back, you’ll earn that $20 back as soon as you spend $200.
Every March, members receive an annual dividend equal to 10% cash back of their yearly purchases.
It’s worth noting that your annual dividend won’t include money spent on clearance items or any coupon discounts you used.
3. Before the Deal of the Day goes live, put the item in your online cart.
You can get up to 50% off REI’s Deal of the Day, but it’s always a limited-quantity item. To make sure you don’t miss out, check the deal in advance, and put it in your cart. When the deal goes live, you’ll already be prepared to check out.
4. Only shop during REI’s biggest annual sales.
First, cash in your annual member dividend in late March (you’ll also get a 20% off any full-priced item coupon, plus 20% off an REI Garage item coupon around this time too).
Then, mark your calendar for the year’s biggest sales:
- Mid-May Anniversary Sale: Save up to 30% during the Anniversary Sale, plus get a member coupon for 20% off a full-priced item and another for 20% off one item from the REI Garage.
- Early February Winter Clearance: Get up to 50% off clothing, outerwear and winter boots
- June/July Summer Sale & Clearance: Save 60-75% on summer styles
- 4th of July Sale & Clearance: You’ll see up to 30% off select outdoor gear, footwear and clothing.
- End of Summer Clearance: Get an extra 25% off clearance items.
- Labor Day Sale & Clearance: Save up to 40%.
- Mid-November Winter Sale: Get up to 30% off, plus members get a coupon for 20% off a full-priced item, and another coupon for 20% off one item from the REI Garage.
- After Christmas Holiday Clearance: Get up to 50% off clothing, gear and more.
5. Download Paribus for automatic price adjustments for online purchases.
Before you shop online from REI, download the Paribus app. Paribus will track your online purchases (with the receipts sent to your email inbox), and if an item you purchased goes on sale, they’ll do the legwork so you get the refund.