Looking for Amazon Prime Day deals? We’ve got you covered. But. . . there are a few things you should know first.
What is Prime Day?
Well, Prime Day is Amazon’s biggest shopping day of the year. And you really can score some great Amazon Prime Day deals on things like TVs, small appliances and more! You’ll get deals just as good, if not better, than many of Amazon’s Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. You’ll need a Prime membership to shop, but we’ll show you how to get a trial for free.
When is Amazon Prime Day?
Amazon Prime Day will begin 12:00 a.m. PT on Monday, July 15, 2019 and end 11:59 p.m. PT on Tuesday, July 16, 2019.
But Amazon Prime Day isn’t the ONLY sale going on in the middle of July, you guys, and Amazon drops prices other times of the year, too! When you read about some of the other deals out there, welp, you might not be all about Amazon after all.
1. Pay attention to Black Friday in July sales — competitors will try to beat Amazon Prime Day deals.
Did you think Macy’s and Target were just going to sit there and let Amazon take all of their business for a week in July? Nope! That’s why we now have Black Friday in July, and let me tell you, it’s pretty sweet.
Over half of major retailers participate in Black Friday in July, which means you can expect a lot of great sales with the Black Friday name attached.
Read about how to score the best Black Friday in July deals and sales.
2. Skip Amazon for clothes and shop back-to-school sales at Old Navy, Target and H&M instead.
During Prime Day 2018, Amazon offered 50% off of its in-house clothing line. For example, we saw deals like this:
Amazon offered some Star Reflective Leggings for $39.95, regularly $79.00.
At the exact same time, Old Navy dropped all compression leggings down to $12.00, normally priced up to $32.00!
And one more thing — retailers like Old Navy, Target, H&M and more will be running summer clearance and back-to-school sales at the end of July into August.
They’re also offering promo codes and gift-card deals on back-to-school essentials! We often see an additional 15%-off coupon at Kohl’s and $5.00 Target gift-card offers when you buy certain back-to-school items. All told you can save up to 80%!
Follow our back-to-school deals page for the best coupons, deals and promo codes.
3. Shop the Old Navy denim sale in July for as little as $8.00.
Old Navy famously drops their jeans to as low as $8.00 in July — one of my favorite denim sales! Last year they even ran the sale on Prime Day.
If Old Navy clothing deals are your thing, then make sure to follow our Old Navy deals & coupons page — we’ll keep you in the know about all things Old Navy.
4. Kohl’s lets you stack extra coupon codes during Amazon Prime Day!
Kohl’s likes to snatch our attention away from Amazon Prime Day deals with some killer offers of their own — and it works.
You can actually stack up to four codes online at Kohl’s on the regular.
For example, stack one sitewide dollar-off code, one departmental dollar-off code and one percent-off code. AND use Kohl’s Cash on top of it all!
But the strategy at Kohl’s while Amazon is running their Prime Day deals is to buy from whatever department Kohl’s offers a special code for. In 2018 it was Home.
One example of a deal using all three of these codes brought the price of an Instant Pot Duo down to $48.99 (compared to Amazon’s price: $79.95).
We’ll keep you up to date on the best Kohl’s deals during Amazon Prime Day and the rest of the year, too.
5. Score Kohl’s Cash on top of savings — similar rewards aren’t offered on Amazon.
Let’s say, for example, that Amazon and Kohl’s both offer the same Cuisinart Breadmaker for $99.00 during Amazon Prime Day, regularly $119.00.
You might be tempted to go with Amazon because they ship it to your door in just one day. But wait! You can pick it up at Kohl’s when you choose to ship to store — sometimes on the very same day you order! And bonus — Kohl’s will also give you $10.00 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50.00 you spend!
6. Expect retailers to offer free shipping to compete with Amazon Prime Day deals.
In 2018 we saw many retailers offer free shipping during Amazon Prime Day. Most were for one day only, with a specific purchase, or for spending less than you would normally have to to get free shipping. Here are some examples:
Keep in mind that if you live in a major Amazon hub, then you might qualify for Amazon Prime Now, which will get you 2-hour shipping! So if quick is the deciding factor, Amazon could be the winner after all.
7. Some stores won’t beat Amazon Prime Day deals, but they will offer freebies with purchase to get your business.
Last year we saw Lowe’s offer a completely free Google Home Mini when you spent $150.00 in qualifying merchandise. That’s a $49.00 freebie!
Likewise, Target offered gift cards with specific purchases, and Kohl’s will give you $10.00 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50.00 you spend.
8. Check Walmart before you buy any Amazon Prime Day deals — they quietly lower prices to compete.
Walmart seems to have accepted that Amazon Prime Day belongs to, well, Amazon, so they likely won’t run huge, competing sales but will offer some discounts that will make it worth keeping your eyes peeled.
For instance, Walmart quietly rolled back the Instant Pot LUX60 to $49.00 (down from $79.00) to match Amazon’s sale exactly.
9. The best TV sales happen closer to the Super Bowl, so only buy one if you can’t wait.
It’s difficult to get an exact comparison of television models since they change so rapidly, but check out this price difference from Prime Day 2018 and Super Bowl Season 2019.
Amazon had a Toshiba 50-inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV for $289.99 (normally $399.99) during Prime Day 2018 and Black Friday 2018.
But both Amazon and Best Buy had Toshiba 50″ Class LED 2160p Smart 4K Ultra HD TV for just $279.00 during February.
The savings are minimal, so if you really want that TV, then snap it up, but know you’ll probably score a better deal at other times of the year.
10. Buy your Roomba in November — not July — and save nearly 58%.
Kohl’s had iRobot Roomba Vacuums on sale during Black Friday 2018 for $249.00, down from $449.00. As if that wasn’t good enough, there were promo codes that brought our favorite robotic vacuum down to $191.99 AND we got $15.00 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50.00 we spent!
Amazon’s best-of-year price on the Roomba does seem to be during Prime Day, but it was still $229.00 in 2018: $30.00 more expensive AND we don’t get Kohl’s Cash.
11. Skip smart devices on Amazon Prime Day — wait for Black Friday instead.
Amazon does have great prices on their Alexa devices. During Prime Day 2018 they had the Amazon Echo Dot for just $29.99 (down from $49.99).
But guess what? During Black Friday 2018 they ran that same Echo Dot for $5.00 less! If you’re on the fence, it could be worth the wait!
You can also get great deals on smart devices that aren’t Alexa from other retailers. During Black Friday in July 2018, Best Buy had an Insignia Voice Smart Bluetooth Speaker and Alarm Clock with Google Assistant for just $24.99, a 75% savings from the normal price of $99.99!
12. If you do decide to shop Amazon Prime Day deals, don’t buy a Prime membership just to do it!
You can get a free 30-day trial for Amazon Prime, so don’t blow a great deal by signing up for a membership you might never use again. You can also pay for your membership monthly and cancel anytime you want!
Read about the best Amazon Prime Day deals and what to expect.
13. You can also set up Krazy Coupon Lady alerts and we’ll let you know when your favorites are at the best prices.
- Download the Krazy Coupon Lady app.
- Click on the three bar menu in the top left corner.
- Click on “notifications.”
- Click the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Toggle on “push notifications.”
- Then toggle on any and all deals you want to watch out for during Black Friday in July!
- You can turn them off by toggling the other way.
14. Follow the Krazy Coupon Lady Amazon page if you’re still doing Prime Day!
We get it. And we’ll keep you in the know on all the best Amazon Prime Day deals. Our Amazon deals page rocks every other day of the year, too.
Here are all those links we mentioned to help you save big!
- Amazon Prime Day Deals
- Black Friday in July 2019: How to Score the Best Deals & Sales
- Back-to-School Deals & Coupons
- 26 Back-to-School Shopping Hacks That’ll Save You All the Money
- Old Navy Deals & Coupons
- Kohl’s Deals & Coupons
- 26 Easy Ways to Shop Smarter at Kohl’s
- Walmart Deals & Coupons
- Target Deals & Coupons
- Best Buy Deals & Coupons
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: The Best Deals & What to Expect
- Krazy Coupon Lady app
- Amazon Deals & Coupons