This deal is no longer available. Check out 8 ways to get free stuff on Amazon for more hacks!
From time to time, American Express gives qualifying cardholders 40% off Amazon orders when they pay with Rewards points.
Depending on the Amex card you have, you earn points for everyday purchases, and then can cash those points in for rewards at numerous vendors, including Amazon, Best Buy, Grubhub, Rite Aid, Ticketmaster and Walmart.
But every now and then, Amazon lets Amex cardholders cash in points to get up to $50 off a single Amazon order.
This offer goes until Sept. 30 or when 30,000 Amazon customers sign up — whichever comes first.
You only have to use ONE rewards point to get up to $50 off at Amazon.
That’s INSANE! Instead of using 10,000 Member Rewards points to get $70 off, like you normally can do, you only have to use a single point towards an Amazon purchase to qualify for 40% off a single Amazon order (up to $50).
Here’s what you do:
- Visit the Amex deal on Amazon to get started and to connect your card to your Amazon account.
- Click on the “Activate now” button to activate this promotion and apply points to your next order. You must click on the button to receive the promotional credit.
- Add one or more eligible products sold and shipped by Amazon to your shopping cart (products from third-party sellers don’t qualify). The promotion can be redeemed on multiple purchases. Maximum discount available is $50.
- Membership Rewards points will be temporarily set as your payment method at checkout. To redeem this offer, you must use Membership Rewards points for at least a portion of your order.
- The 40% savings will be reflected on the final order checkout page if the items in your order are eligible for the promotion.
Note: You don’t have to be a Prime member to get this discount, but it’ll help you get free shipping. Sign up for Prime’s 30-day free trial to maximize your savings.
Some cardholders may have received a different, but similar, offer.
You’ll want to check your email and/or your Amex account; we’ve heard that some targeted customers have received a different offer, such as $20 off a $50 Amazon order.
Travel cards aren’t included; make sure your card qualifies.
The following American Express credit cards are eligible for Membership Rewards (and this deal):
- Platinum Card from American Express
- American Express Gold Card
- American Express Green Card
- Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card
- Amex EveryDay Credit Card
- Blue from American Express
- Business Platinum Card
- Business Gold Card
- Business Green Rewards Card
- Blue Business Plus Card
- Corporate Platinum Card from American Express
- American Express Corporate Gold Card
- American Express Corporate Green Card
Note: If you have a travel rewards card, you aren’t eligible, since your points go towards travel bookings.