DIY home projects are a great way to stay busy and productive at home, but they get pricey, quick. Solution? Learn how to shop Lowe’s clearance, discounts, coupons and sales with savings in mind.
With these hacks, you’ve got plenty of options, like taking advantage of Lowe’s tool rental and leveraging Lowe’s price matching policy for a better bargain.
1. Pay less with Lowe’s price matching.
Lowe’s price matches competitors on identical items only. All you need to do is bring in proof of a lower price, like a local ad or the browser on your smartphone.
Stores Lowe’s price matches with includes:
- Home Depot
- Ace Hardware
- Best Buy
They’ll also price match Lowes.com if you find a better price online, but want to pick it up same-day. They won’t match clearance items or installation quotes.
2. Save around 95% with Lowe’s tool rental.
Need some tools for a day instead of a lifetime? Take advantage of Lowe’s tool rental. You can rent tools for lawn care, concrete work, and welding, as well as trailers and trenchers.
Here’s what you should expect:
So basically, you can save close to 95% when you rent for a day instead of buying.
3. Ask Lowe’s to cut your lumber. They’ll do it for free.
If you buy your wood at Lowe’s, you can get it cut for free. They don’t have any set limits on cuts, but prefer if you keep it within reason.
Lowe’s also offers free cutting on wire shelving, blinds, carpeting, chains, pipes, and electrical wiring.
4. Return dead plants, shrubs, and perennials for up to one year.
If you don’t have a green thumb, just bring your dead shrub, plant, or perennial back to Lowe’s within a year. If you’ve got proof of purchase, you’ll get store credit for a new plant. I tape my receipt, in a plastic zip lock baggie, to the bottom of an indoor pot so I don’t lose it. For outdoor plants, I have to put those receipts in a file.
For annuals, you’ve got 90 days to return.
5. Use the Lowe’s military discount for 10% off your total.
Lowe’s military discounts are available for all active-duty and retired veterans. Every day, no exceptions! Lowe’s honors service members with a 10% off military discount program, but you can’t stack this discount with any others, so choose the best deal or separate your transactions.
For example, you could price match a tool that Ace Hardware sells for cheaper, or use a coupon on it, pay for that and then use your military discount for paint, brushes, or anything else you buy in a separate transaction.
6. Rent a Lowe’s truck for just $19.
With Lowe’s truck rental, you get a pickup for $19 for the first 90 minutes ($5 per 15 minutes after that) or $89 for the whole day.
In comparison, Home Depot’s Load N’ Go trucks are $19 for the first 75 minutes and $129 for the full day.
Definitely go with Lowe’s on this one.
7. Use the online Lowe’s Rebate Center to get cash back on large appliances.
If you’re making a big purchase, check the Lowes Rebate Center online to see if you can get a deal. The rebates come in the form of Visa prepaid cards.
Keep in mind most of these rebates only apply when you’re purchasing multiple appliances. For example, “Purchase a qualifying LG Studio Refrigerator and two or more eligible LG Studio kitchen appliances for $1,000 in rebates.”
But you can also get special rebates for recycling old appliances, like $50 back for recycling an old fridge or freezer. They’ll even come by and pick it up for you.
If you’re still not finding what you’re looking for, take a look at Energy Star rebates for more offers.
8. Get 10% off if you’re a Lowe’s employee.
With the Lowe’s employee discount, anyone who works there gets 10% off their purchases. You can also get 30% off food and drinks from the store.
9. Return your item for up to 90 days, even without a receipt.
Thanks to the Lowe’s return policy, if you use a credit card, they can look it up and find your receipt to refund your money. You can get store credit if you paid with cash or check, or if you don’t have your receipt.
Exceptions to the 90-day return policy include holiday items which must be returned in the current holiday (example: if you buy something during the Christmas season, you have until December 26 to return it). And large appliances only have a 30-day return period.
10. Pick up Lowe’s kids workshop kits for free.
If you’ve got a future DIY fanatic in the family, bring them home a workshop kit from Lowe’s totally free. They’ve had constructible sports projects like soccer goals and basketball hoops along with seasonal kits.
All you have to do is sign up on the Lowe’s DIY page by choosing an event along with how many kits you’d like to take. While there’s no in-person workshops right now, this freebie makes up for it.
You have a limit of five kits you can take home.
Throughout April 2021, Lowe’s is also offering free Garden-to-Go kits every Thursday.
11. Save up to 80% when you buy paint from the “mistint shelf.”
Granted, you won’t be able to paint the whole inside of your house using paint from the mistint shelf, (shelf of paint returned paint that the customer wasn’t happy with) but you could finish a project or two using a $30 gallon of paint marked down to $9, or a $12 quart for $2.50.
12. Use the Lowe’s bulk discount for up to 50% off.
Thanks to Lowe’s Buy in Bulk (also known as “Contractor Packs,”) you can get some big discounts on your next DIY project. You’ll typically get around 10-30% off on everything from plumbing and home decor to seasonal and electrical essentials.
In store, there are stickers to show what items have bulk pricing.
13. And check with the Pro Desk for discounts if you’re spending more than $1,500.
When your total hits $1,500 (which isn’t rare for a big project), head over to the Lowe’s Pro Desk. Depending on what you’re buying, they’ll offer a discount after processing your order. It’s definitely worth it for 10-30% off.
14. Wait for a special offer on a Lowe’s credit card for 5% off and more.
Five percent savings is pretty good as far as credit cards go. If you’re interested in getting a Lowe’s card, you’ll want to sign up for the Lowe’s Advantage credit card.
And the additional offers are definitely worth looking at. Check it out:
- 20% off your first purchase when you sign up (up to $100 savings)
- One year special financing on appliances
- One year special financing on installed heating, air conditioning, and venting
15. Get wood scraps from Lowe’s lumber department and start your next DIY project.
At my Lowe’s, the scraps are located behind the lumber-cutting machine, and my store either has scraps or they don’t. When they do have scraps, I can get three-foot 2X2’s for a couple bucks. I recommend making friends with your lumber department to see if you can haggle the lowest price possible.
Once you score some lumber, be sure to check out Lowe’s DIY Projects and Ideas page for inspiration (unless you’re a master carpenter).
16. Enlist Lowe’s installation services to do your project for you.
Lowe’s Installation service comes with a one-year labor guarantee and special financing options, so you can have them DIFY (Do It For You) like building that new tree house for your kids without breaking your back (or budget).
Lowe’s does also carpet installation, fence installation, and flooring.
17. Grab appliances for 50% off on President’s Day.
Lowe’s President’s Day sale is the perfect time to upgrade your kitchen appliances. Here’s some of the best deals I’ve seen:
- Hisense Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator (reg. $1,499) $699
- Frigidaire Food-Disposal Built-In Dishwasher (reg. $899) $449
- GE Side-by-Side Refrigerator with Ice Maker (reg. $1,599) $999
18. Or look for slightly damaged floor models for 10–30% off.
If you walk by a floor model with some minor dents or a few scratches, get in touch with a manager. In most cases, they’ll offer you 10% off. However, I’ve also spoken to some managers that would give you as much as 30% off.
19. Get cheap gardening supplies during the Spring Black Friday Sale in April.
Expect to score 50% and more on gardening essentials like soil and mulch. Here’s some of what I’ve seen:
Free store pickup
Final Price: $2
Free store pickup
Final Price: $2
Plus, watch out for paint rebates like $10 back on one-gallon cans and $40 back on five-gallon cans. This also includes stains and coatings.
20. Stock up on summer essentials during the Lowe’s Memorial Day sale.
The Lowe’s Memorial Day sale is an ideal time to stock up on everything you need for summer: grills, propane, soil, mulch, annuals, and more. Here’s my favorite combo deal I’ve seen:
Final Price: $139
$20 off with full-size gas grill purchase
Final Price: $29.97
So for a full new grilling setup, you’re saving $80 total!
21. Grab tools and grills for 50% off during the Father’s Day Event in June.
Check out the Father’s Day sale at Lowe’s for 50% off tool sets, grills, and the occasional power tool. It’s perfect if you’re looking to snag a gift (or upgrade your own stuff).
22. Pick up power tool kits (and lots more) during Lowe’s Black Friday sale.
Black Friday at Lowe’s has deals on quite an assortment – $500 off Maytag washers/dryer combos, 50% off on smart hubs from Google and Amazon, and 65% off artificial Christmas trees.
But one of the best deals was on power tool kits with freebies included. For example:
Free shipping on orders of $45+ or free store pickup
Final Price: $199
They’ve also offered the same freebie deal with their other major tool brands Craftsman and Kobalt during Black Friday.
23. Shop for Christmas items on December 26 to save up to 50%.
Holiday decor gets marked down to 30% off mid-December, but if selection is good and you can wait, hold out until the day after Christmas when most holiday items reach 50% off.
24. Shop the Deal of the Day for daily bargains up to 80% off.
Lowe’s Deal of the Day goes live everyday until supplies last. You can score some pretty awesome savings, like the Samsung Indoor Security Camera (reg. $89.99) for $17.99.
These change every day, so if you don’t see what you like check out Lowe’s Special Values page for ongoing deals.
25. Take advantage of Lowe’s free shipping on orders over $45.
If your Lowe’s haul is over $45, you qualify for free shipping. You’ll see exceptions, as your order has to be under 150 pounds and can’t be shipped to multiple addresses.
Or if you prefer to grab your online order curbside or in-store, try using Lowe’s pickup for free.
26. Take advantage of free delivery on large appliances if you live within 75 miles of a Lowe’s.
Refrigerators, dishwashers, ovens, and washer/dryers qualify for free delivery. Lowe’s will also relocate your old appliance to somewhere else in your house for free. Installation is free, except for dishwashers, microwaves, and gas-powered appliances.
27. Haul away old appliances for free with the Lowe’s loyalty program.
With the Lowe’s for Pros program, you can track your purchases, get personalized offers, and access business tools like the Pro Dashboard and catalog creation.
The only other benefit is having Lowe’s haul away and recycle your old appliances for free, which would generally be a $20-30 fee.
28. Learn what different Lowe’s clearance tags mean.
Here’s everything you need to know about Lowe’s tags:
- White tags are normally priced items
- Yellow tags that say “clearance” are permanent markdowns.
- Yellow tags that say “new lower price” are 60-day temporary markdowns.
When you see “Clearance” on a yellow price tag, it’s a great time to buy. This is a permanent markdown.
29. Look for clearance shelves with “rescue” or distressed plants and save up to 80%.
These plants (ornamental grasses, bushes, annuals) are all final sale and require a lot of TLC in order to get them to thrive. But the savings are so good, it’s worth a try.
30. Always use discounted gift cards from Raise to save around 4%.
Order discounted Lowe’s gift cards on Raise and use them with your coupons, military discount, or price match!
31. Text 84109 to ask Lowe’s a question instead of calling customer service.
Hate talking on the phone? Text Lowe’s your question!