We all care about our pets. But sometimes taking care of a dog can put a big dent in your wallet. Between pet supplies, healthcare, and pet insurance, it’s easy to overspend. And we’re not even talking about those fun dog clothes. Whenever possible, we try to find dog food free to stay on budget.
According to Rover’s Cost of Dog Parenthood in 2022 report, the first year of a dog’s life will cost from $1,050 to $4,480. Yearly expenses after that will run you about $480 to $3,470, or $49 – $290 a month — which is why dog food free samples are awesome.
So to help you save some money feeding your pet, we found eight ways to get dog food free. Yes, free!
Download the KCL app; we’ll let you know when any pet food deals pop up.
1. Get samples by completing surveys.
Not every pet food company gives out free dog food samples, but if you fill out these surveys or call these companies, they will send you free dog food for your best friend.
PetWay Dog Food
PetWay will send you a no-cost dog food sample of your choice after you fill out their short survey.
Zignature Dog Food
To get a free sample of Zignature dog food, fill out a request form, including info about dietary restrictions your dog may have. They’ll also ask about your dog’s preference between dog food with wholesome grains or dog food with chickpeas and peas.
Related: There are plenty of alternatives that you can use to get your dog food delivered to you.
2. Sign up for BringFido.com’s newsletter and get dog food free when available.
When you sign up for BringFido’s email newsletter, you may get dog food samples for free.
BringFido.com receives samples of pet food, treats, and other pet supplies from their sponsors. They offer them to their subscribers whenever they’re available.
3. Receive a dog food sample from The Pet Pantry if you live in North Carolina.
4. Join a loyalty program or frequent buyer program for free dog food offers.
Some pet food loyalty programs offer a free full-size bag/box or can after you buy X number of products or spend X amount of dollars. If you can’t join a program direct with the dog food company, check your local pet store. Here are some dog food brands that offer free dog food after you meet their program or the indepenedent store requirements.
- Acana: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Avoderm: Buy 10 get 1 free
- Blue Buffalo: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Canidae: Buy 12 get 1 free
- First Mate: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Fromm Family Pet Food: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Lotus: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Natural Balance: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Natures Variety Instinct: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Northwest Naturals: Buy 12 get 1 free
- NutriSource: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Orijen: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Petcurean: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Pinnacle: Buy 10 get 1 free
- Primal: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Red Barn: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Solid Gold: Buy 7 get 1 free
- Stella & Chewy: Buy 12 get 1 free
- Taste of the Wild: Buy 10 get 1 free
- Taste of the Wild PREY: Buy 8 get 1 free
- The Honest Kitchen: Buy 7 get 1 free
Related: Check out these best discounts for pet food and pet supplies delivery.
5. Connect with a local pet food pantry or other nonprofit.
FeedingPetsOfTheHomeless.org offers resources for pet owners that need support feeding and caring for their pets. The website has a list of over 460 resource locations across the U.S. for pet food and supplies.
6. Sign up for pet store reward programs for dog food free.
Register for your local pet store’s reward/loyalty program and apply rewards or points toward dog food. Here are a few loyalty programs you can find throughout the U.S.:
7. Talk with your vet about dog food samples.
In addition to providing reduced fees on veterinary services, some vet clinics provide free or low cost dog food to those in need.
8. Reach out to your local pet shelters.
If your local pet shelter has an ample supply of dog food, they may offer dog food free for pet parents in need. It never hurts to ask, especially if it means the health of your pup.